Veil Complex - MN190 Second Light

Roy Foreman

Clear skies were promised for last night.  I got cloud and showers with a few clear bits in between. Grabbed some images in those clear interludes.  It really was a case of take one or two frames, hit pause which the clouds billowed past, then another one or two frames, and so on.  Took several hours to gather just 25 minutes of data on each image.  The stuff we have to contend with these days.

I have to say I am really impressed with this 190mm Mak-Newt.  One or two minor issues still to sort, but image quality is very impressive.  A couple of my other scopes have now become surplus to requirements !

Skywatcher MN190

ZWO ASI 6200 full frame OSC

IDAS NB1 Tri band filter

25 x 60 sec at gain 400

Thanks for looking.

2023-11-10 Veil W 60s nb1 c1.jpg

2023-11-10 Pickerings 60s nb1 c.jpg

2023-11-10 Veil E 60s nb1 c.jpg

• Like 12

Ive heard good things about the MN190, this gives me more reason to think perhaps I should have gone for one too, but would require a mount upgrade sadly. For such a short total time that’s really impressive! 

We did get the clear skies here last night, no showers but some cloud patches. Supposed to be again tonight 🤞

25 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Ive heard good things about the MN190, this gives me more reason to think perhaps I should have gone for one too, but would require a mount upgrade sadly. For such a short total time that’s really impressive! 

We did get the clear skies here last night, no showers but some cloud patches. Supposed to be again tonight 🤞

I too had heard good reports of the MN190 but was put off by it not being able to cover a full frame sensor.  I gather that current models have a larger secondary mirror, and when I saw a couple of images taken using full frame , that was the tipping point for me.

I don't know what mount you currently have, but the MN190 will be ok on and EQ6.  Not that I've tried it, but my 10" Quattro works with that mount and the MN190 is a lighter scope.

As for short integration time, I get so few clear skies that I've learned to process images to extract as much out of limited data that I can. Case of having to.  When I see images taken over 10, 20 or even 30 hours I think 'It would take me years to gather that much data !'

Thanks

Roy

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 12:57, Roy Foreman said:

I don't know what mount you currently have, but the MN190 will be ok on and EQ6.  Not that I've tried it, but my 10" Quattro works with that mount and the MN190 is a lighter scope.

As for short integration time, I get so few clear skies that I've learned to process images to extract as much out of limited data that I can. Case of having to.  When I see images taken over 10, 20 or even 30 hours I think 'It would take me years to gather that much data !'

I have a HEQ5 so the weight of the MN190 alone is nearly at full capacity of the mount, that's why I didn't go for it. The 102ED that I use is a superb scope though 🙂

• Like 1