So who's flying out?

OK Apricot

Booked my fly-drive to Austin for the US Eclipse in April. No real plans, hotel or the usual touristy stuff, but my mini rig will be accompanying me so hopefully can drive out to dark skies as well as get set up for the big show, and just bed down at a cheap motel for the nights wherever I end up. 

Priority 1) Eclipse and weather forecast. I will be watching the forecast from 5th April when I arrive to be able to hopefully place myself under some clear blue skies. Mileage not a consideration - what needs to be done will be done. 

Priority 2) Darkness. Might have a drive around Texas and have a peek at some of the larger US star party venues like Prude Ranch, Okie-Tex etc. See if I can find some quiet secluded spots to shoot from. 

Priority 3) Severe weather. I love nothing more than a good storm so will be chasing the fun weather depending on distance. I'd love to see a tornado, lifetime bucket list thing. 

Just wondered if anyone else had any plans, was excited to share my own 😊

• Like 2

Might be planning a holiday to Dallas soon,  not for the eclipse though,

My wife is a huge fan of Dallas (TV show) and wants to see southfork ranch and all that shenanigans...has even bought some cowboy boots 🤠

On 08/11/2023 at 09:53, Elp said:

Thinking about it, haven't done solar in a while as the sun is usually too low or obstructed.

Not much of a better time to do some solar and can make a holiday out of it as well 🙂

On 08/11/2023 at 10:14, callisto said:

Might be planning a holiday to Dallas soon,  not for the eclipse though,

My wife is a huge fan of Dallas (TV show) and wants to see southfork ranch and all that shenanigans...has even bought some cowboy boots 🤠

Yeah, Dallas was my first option but couldn't stretch in the end. Virgin (to Austin) and tesco clubcard came good by using all of my points to pay for the majority of the flight and car 😁

• Like 2

I would look to book yourself some accommodation now for the night before the eclipse. It will be heaving on the day and rooms go quickly. Prices for anything remaining will go right up nearer to the time of the event too. I went to the 2017 eclipse in the USA and couldn’t get a room within 50 miles of the centreline for the night before. 

42 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I crossed total solar eclipse off my bucket list with my visit to Turkey which was a perfect event and difficult to see how another would beat it.  A tornado is still on my bucket list!    🙂

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/weather/dramatic-moment-a-tornado-was-caught-on-camera-above-pendle-hill-3783345

Edited by JeremyS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks for that.  I did actually see an event exactly like that some years ago out towards the Pennine way close to the Stoodley Pike direction.  As with the Burnley one, it didn't "touch down".  Still exciting at the time.      🙂 

• Like 1