SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Return Visit Next Year?

daz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You had to be a bit careful and keep an eye on them as they walked into the odd tent and did a poo!

Perhaps we should award a special medal to those poor souls who had duck poo in their tent...:)

I nominate Whippy (Tony) and Paxo (Steve)...For services rendered to the toilet roll..

Indeed! One of the little fellas left a 'welcome' present in our tent but Steve should take the medal as he actually cleaned it up. I should have bought some Hoisin Sauce, Spring Onions and Pancakes when doing the food run at Tesco's on Friday :).

Tony..

Did someone mention France????????

Just got around to reading the thread, yes there would be problems with the distance for some, but the costs of the ferries can be a lot less than was suggested, a friend returned to the UK last week via Calais to Dover, for £39, in a camper van (largish) + two passengers. Diesel is cheaper here, petrol about the same. Autoroutes are clear, tolls yes, but you can travel a long way quickly 130 Kph (81 mph).

So shall I book the village football pitch? Only use the flood lights on a Friday night:mad:

Seriously, if any one is interested :)

I would definately go back despite ducks leaving calling cards in your tent. I'm not going to gripe about the distance to the toilet facilities, that distance meant we didn't get any noticeable light from them eminating our way. The two fields we had were great, just a 100 yards away there were several 3ft high pillar lights which we again didn't notice.

Skies were 'marginally' poorer than Kelling, but it has already been said, better than most peoples back gardens. Travel wise it was very easy to get to, just a few miles off the motorway network.

One thing probably not mentioned yet though was the easy to reach facilities in Hereford which means if SGL5 is held there, do your food shopping when you get there and save some room in the car.

Congratulations to all involved, well done.

Steve..

Thankyou Steve,

It may be that we've found a regular location..

I was a bit aprehensive using Google Earth to find suitable campsites in the area as it through up some right duff ones! But after talking to the girls who manage the site over a period of several weeks and the owner on the Friday, I knew we may have found a cracker.

The site was a good compromise between a dark sky and facilities.

I'm just glad you all want to return..:)

I would agree with most of the comments. I thought the southerly horizon was particularly good...I saw Corvus and Scorpio for the first time in Britain. Yeah, the LP from hereford wasn't great, but you can't have everything!:( I actually quite enjoyed the little trek to the loos, although I think a few of the gentlemen were actually frequenting the bushes at the southern end of the rally field:D. The only thing I thought wasn't cricket was the fact you had to pay 20p for a sprinkle in the showers. Mind you, you didn't have to wash!

All in all, I thought it was a great venue. Very pretty and well maintained. Well done Daz et al. for organising it!:):)

Stef

For an SGL south sort of thing, we have a great campsite just outside Weymouth....Fleet farm.

The owners let us use a field for our local astronomy group viewing nights,and are members themselves. It has a restaurant, bar and very good facilities.

To the south there is nothing but 100 miles or so of the English channel, so LP from that direction is zero.

Weymouth is to the east, but LP from thare isn't bad....I live several miles closer and it isn't too bad for me.

To the west, there are no major cities, just Bridport 18 miles away, and North there's nothing much until Yeovil, 20 miles away, plus there's a low hill which shields this direction.

We also often have the most clear weather in the country.

Worth having a word with them perhaps.

Cheers

Rob

An interesting thought Rob :(

I kinda like Dorset :)

My maternal ancestors came from there, at least back into the 1600's, and as an ex scuba diver, I spent many a happy hour diving in Lyme Bay :).

An added bonus for non astro members of the family, is that there is lots to see and do, in the area during the day.

The lack of this aspect, was my wife's complaint about Mordiford, but then, as I pointed out to her, the purpose of going there, was for a Star Party. :)

Still, combining both would perhaps encourage more members families to come along, making it an even more social occasion.

Dave

There should be no problem with re booking Lucksall. We left the place as spotless as when we arrived, and no grounds for any complaints at all. In fact, I think the owners would be all too pleased to have us back.

Ron.

Soooo. What happens to a duck when it flies upside down?

It quacks up.

Hehe, just my level!

I loved the site but then I'm not near a dark site so this was bliss! I was too busy getting overexcited at what I could see to notice the glow!

As for the loos, I'll pee anywhere. Erk, did I really say that?!! Hurriedly says, the distance to the loos was no problem! I loved the site and the countryside. I suffer constant withdrawal symptoms for hills so it was lovely.

What a fantastic bunch you are! I've forgotten most of your faces so I'll post up me pics and ask for a who's who (or is it whom??:icon_rolleyes:;))

Alexxx

Archived