SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SLG4 - thanks

adamsp123

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back myself.

I learnt such a lot from you guys - thank you.

And being on my own wasn't a problem for a moment - thanks for being so friendly, everyone.

Had some real awe-inspiring moments looking through Rob's scope and Ian's fantastic dob. You made my night!

Astrosurf - you're a darling!

Will try to sleep now. Don't think it will work. I see M51 every time I close my eyes.

Lulu

x

I would just like to add my thanks onto the ones above. I had an absolutely amazing nights viewing last night and I learn't heaps. Especially thanks to James and Greg for helping me out with my motor drive etc and to the guys that cookes the awsome chilli!!

I will defo be attending the next one for sure!

I'd like to add a huge "thank you" from me to all who were involved in making SGL4 such a fantastic event. It was my 1st SGL meet and my 1st star party but it certainly won't be the last. The site was great, the chilli amazing (courtesy of Greg and Jamie), the company of new friends stimulating and fun - and if that was not enough the one night I spent (Saturday) was SUPERB for viewing. I won't forget the views of M51 and the Supernova through Alex's 12" Skywatcher Dob in a hurry !.

Thanks again to all and see you all agin SOON I hope :)

John

A huge thank you to the organisers of SGL4 - it was fantastic.

Another round of thanks to all the cooks for the superb grub!

Thanks to everyone for making me so welcome - it was great to meet so many people.

Two special thank you's: firstly to to Rob for the processing tutorial and letting me see those amazing views through his LX.

Secondly to Ian (Astronut) - the views through that Dob of yours will stay with me forever - thanks for putting up with me Ian.

That view of M82 with the Ethos and the 2x powermate......just WOW! - Will never forget that view!!

If you didn't go, you missed something very special I'm afraid - get your name down for next year!

Barry.

Again....

Thanks for all those involved in the orgainsation and smooth running of the event... only made a flying visit this time but it was a great "taster"... great bunch of people (no "Characters" is probably a better word) - but should have guessed that from the forum...

Hopefully be able to spend some more time at the next one...

Peter...

Another thanks from me, had a great time! Everyone was so friendly, easy going, eager to help and let us newbies look through their scopes. Fantastic social Friday night and some serious observing on Saturday. I may have only a few posts at the moment but I have definitely found my home from home. Only wish I got to have a peek through that big meade of Rob's! Thanks to all, especially the mods for putting it all on and for such a wonderful event! Already looking forward to the next one. Adios amigos!

Oh and heres some piccies

30311133265459884147473.jpg

img145.imageshack.usimg145802430311133265459884147473.jpg

30311133264219853147473.jpg

30311133264459859147473.jpg

30311133264499860147473.jpg

30311133264539861147473.jpg

30311133264579862147473.jpg

30311133264659864147473.jpg

30311133264699865147473.jpg

img145.imageshack.usimg145802430311133265459884147473.jpg

Big thanks to Daz for organising a great event and the cloud gods for giving us all a break last night with some awesome clear skies. It's a pity you had to work Daz, you missed an almost perfect sky. Thanks also to Greg and helpers for the delicious meals.

Great to meet some new faces. I enjoyed myself immensely giving lots of people a brief tour of the night sky. I got a real buzz from the gasps of astonishment from the people looking through my scope, especially the few who'd never been to a dark site.

My interest waxes and wanes but that was a definite boost - I was grinning from ear to ear :) It's great to share the views.

Thanks also to Rob for his patience and demonstration of the Bahtinov mask on his Meade monster scope. I'm no imager but that's a great invention.

Roll on Salisbury in August.

Hello all,

We have just got back, Nelson is worn out from playing with most of you who were there and has gone to sleep - whch is unusual for him at this time of day :) .

Thanks to everyone who organised this meeting, it felt like a big family event even though many of us had never met before.

What a great bunch of people.....this is a great forum and it's easy to see why when you've met many of the members for real. The name tags were a really good idea....after a certain age, remembering names can be little challenging :(

Will post more later...Wielding my 14 inches has worn me out and we still have to get the monstrousity out of the van :)

Cheers

Rob, Amanda & Nelson

I would like to give a big thank you to organizers of SGL4. I thought the site was great and would definitely want to go back if another one held there next year. I would also like to thank everyone I met for being so friendly. I had a great views on Saturday of M51 through Alex’s 12” Dob and of M13 through Robs 14”LX200.

Thanks everyone Dean

I wanted to thank Daz for the organisation and I was sorry you could not make it. This was a fabulous weekend both socially and for the astronomy. I met so many great and friendly people and thanks to Greg and the cooking group for that excellent chilli last night. I knew that last night was going well when we started by observing Mercury and it went from strength to strength afterwards. Living so close I was biased about the location but it was pleasure all the way. Grateful thanks to Jamie for selling me the 13mm Ethos :) what views last night through my 4" APO refractor. I hope we all meet again soon.

Regards

Mark

First of all i'd like to thank the girls (Especially Karen ) At Lucksall, we spent many a morning phoning each other making sure the site was what was required for you guys..

Daz and the the Admin team for helping make this happen (We really missed you guys!)

Steve (Kai)..Ian..(Lunator) and Jamie (Executive chilli tester and stirrer!!) For the help in the kitchen and keeping the accounts and helping in the super market...(Someone had to keep me away from the chocolate section!)

Steve and James from FLO for brings along some loverly astro kit for us

Mark for checking out the site for us and giving us a dark sky report.

Finally i'd like to thank all you guys for making it a great starparty..:)

I've met great people this weekend and it makes all the work worth while.

looking forward to meeting you all and seeing some more new faces at the next one..

Greg

Just gonna echo whats been said here...THANKS to all involved getting this up and running, was an awesome wekend, friday night was a booze up! and Saturday night was a night of firsts... some magnificent kit there and the views were amazing through astronuts dob!! Cheers to wippy for walking me through WCS! appreciate the pointers mate, also thanks all for making my old man feel welcome as well - he didnt understand most of the tech chat that was going on but was amazed at the views to be had.

All in a fantastic weekend away.. bar one issue - I forget to set the damn 350D to RAW and ended up with an hours worth of 90sec jpegs of M51 :)

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said in thanking all involved with pulling this one together.

Though i have a special thanks to Daz Greg and Mark, if not for their particular input/effort this would have never even got off the ground let alone be the outstanding success that SGL4 will always be known for......

Way to go folks!!!!

Glad to see that everyone got home safely :)

We got home in a little under 5 hours, with sunshine from door to door :(

As usual it was nice to meet up with the 'crowd' again, and also to put so many more 'faces to names'.

The social atmosphere was such that it did SGL proud, with newer members commenting on just how friendly SGL people are. :)

Having been there since Tuesday, under pretty grim skies, it was so nice to see that the skies cleared last night, to 'round off' a great event.

So, although you weren't able to make it Daz, you can take some comfort from knowing that the event was a total success :).

Dave

Just to add to all that's been said here already. I had a great time and it was good to see you all again! Well done all you Admin for your fantastic organisation....Brekker on Saturday was just what the Doctor ordered......Chilli in the evening (nice one Greg and Jamie), what more could you want!:)Oh yeah, clear skies on Saturday night- now that's what I call organisation! Had wonderful views through my astrovid camera on Saturday night on a tour of seriously southerly objects invisible from my house - M80, M4! Went to bed at 5.30am in daylight and now feel pants but who cares, roll on SGL5......

Stef:D

Archived