New Orion Optics OMC 185 announced

I wonder if OO are contemplating stepping back from selling directly, establishing a sound network of reputable dealers (eg: FLO ?) and concentrating on the design and manufacturing side of things ?

Just now, John said:

I wonder if OO are contemplating stepping back from selling directly, establishing a sound network of reputable dealers (eg: FLO ?) and concentrating on the design and manufacturing side of things ?

Hope so. Selling things was never one of their strong points! 

• Like 2

In the US, a lot of smaller companies switch from the consumer market to the commercial or government contracting market as they grow and become more competent because the margins are higher, the orders are larger, and the business is more steady.  Especially as regards military contracting, they don't have to worry about competing with foreign made items.

I wonder if OO will go the way of Questar.

On 18/09/2024 at 17:03, John said:

Maybe, but they used to do that.

I brought my first Newtonian : an OO  250/1200  'Europa' model from Widescreen Centre back in 2003 back when they had a store in Nottingham.

Two more of their scopes were bought used, and my 12" F4 was the only one i purchased new and picked up from their premises in Newcastle-under-lyme.

I much prefer to buy stuff from there directly : and its always nice to see John and have a chat with him.

56 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Maybe, but they used to do that.

I brought my first Newtonian : an OO  250/1200  'Europa' model from Widescreen Centre back in 2003 back when they had a store in Nottingham.

Two more of their scopes were bought used, and my 12" F4 was the only one i purchased new and picked up from their premises in Newcastle-under-lyme.

I much prefer to buy stuff from there directly : and its always nice to see John and have a chat with him.

Quite a few dealers used to sell OO scopes a couple of decades or so back. Not so many in recent years. I don't know if that was a deliberate move by OO or the dealers decided it. That might be changing though.

Edited by John