SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Lyrids from 22.04 / 23.04

I like meteors, I think that they are great when you catch one on Film (*cough* CCD). Especially when they are among circular star trails.

I decided to set the camera up on a static tripod and leave it running all night.

I setup close to the house so that I could run the lead into the dining room and have the laptop inside. I had to use the HEQ5 as the static tripod in the end as the power for the camera is built into the wiring loom!

So I covered up the mount in a plastic bag with a small hole at the top for the camera to poke through and set it going.

I plumped for 3 minute subs (181 seconds) with 30 second between each, at ISO400. Set it going for 110 shots - total 6 hours 26 minutes.

I used the standard canon lens (that came with the 300D), set to 24mm, I used a Light polution filter screwed into the lens and a 2" EP dew strap around the end of the lens to keep dew at bay.

Focusing and positioning was an absolute bitch, but I finally managed to get the focus good and started to work on position. I really wanted to get Polaris in shot and finlly managed it (you wouldn't think it would have been that hard - but trust me it was).

So how many meteors do you think that I got, bearing in mind the FOV and the length of time I exposed for...?

Go on have a guess. 10, 15...?

Not blumming 1 :)

Three planes but no meteors. Oh and it patially clouded over at 1:34am :)

I've used a program called Startrails v1.1 to make the following image. But due to the cloud it's only about 3 hours 40 minutes. Excellent progam, free and very easy to use (even though mines stuck in GERMAN).

I also stitched together the following animation using Image Ready.

It's been resized by a massive amount to get the file size down and it's still just under 5Mb.

I hope it's worth the wait.

The bright star on the right (about half way through) is Vega, the bright stars at the top at the start are from Ursa Major.

Ant

Archived