sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Laminated star-charts?

Any recommendations for some laminated star charts? I'm looking for something with the Messiers on (plus maybe some of the interesting NGCs?) and stars down to mag 6ish or so to aid star hopping with the Dob, something clear and not too cluttered for ease of use with a red torch.

Print-my-own is possible, or some for sale at modest cost. What do people use?

The Tirion Sky Atlas I find is 100%... the scale and coverage is very good.

I ended up with the desk and night set ( one with white stars on a black background and one with black stars on a white background)

I made the mistake (??!!) of laminating them back to back so I have a black chart on one side and the white on the other.... great idea but now the set is twice as heavy as it needs to be!!! Doh!

The black stars on the white, laminated is the way to go!!!

• Like 1

Hi Ben, I got the star atlas too that merlin was talking about. It's great but the sheets are A2 so I had to photocopy and A3 laminate it. There's a lot of pages but really very detailed.

I printed out the Irish federation of Astronomical Societies Messier challenge handbook. It has finder charts for all the objects and A4 so you could get it laminated and bound easily. Have a look: Downloads | Observing Challenges

Sky Atlas 2000 comes in a laminated edition though for years I've been using the cheaper unlaminated version, with white stars on black background - perfect for use under a red torch. It's a set of separate large-size sheets (bigger than A3 I think) on very thick paper. Mine has experienced dew, mud and blowing away in the dark but is still working perfectly.

Sky and Telescope products for sale - ShopatSky.com

I nowadays use Uranometria for finding galaxies but I still use Sky Atlas to get myself close to the target. For tracking down Messiers, Caldwells and Herschels it's ideal.

Only downside is size. When I need to carry a pocket atlas for binocular or small scope viewing it's the Peterson Field Guide:

Peterson Field Guide to the Stars and Planets

THe book itself is a bit heavy so I cut out all the general astro stuff and retained only the star maps, which go down to about 6.5 I think. And since it's such a nice book, I got myself a second copy for the shelf.

Andrew

Any recommendations for some laminated star charts? I'm looking for something with the Messiers on (plus maybe some of the interesting NGCs?) and stars down to mag 6ish or so to aid star hopping with the Dob, something clear and not too cluttered for ease of use with a red torch.

Print-my-own is possible, or some for sale at modest cost. What do people use?

I can highly reccomend "Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas" (ISBN 1-931559-31-7) which is not laminated, however it's very good quality water resistant paper (not waterproof!) & the small size makes it easy to handle outside in a breeze. Loads of deep sky objects & stars down to mag. 7.6 making it very useful for star hopping with binoculars or finder scope.