Seestar S50 images

M40

38 minutes ago, Recretos said:

Oh my god.... This is really good information! 
I love looking at closer details, which is what my Pix workflow is usually aimed at, despite using just the cheap Seestar. But this is exactly what I want to achieve. Thanks very much again!

Have you tried using the Script/Render/Annotate Image option on a plate-solved image? It identifies a lot of the detail - sometimes too much😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Xilman said:

You're welcome.

If you would like me to send you a catalogue of the positions of the globular clusters in M31, please ask. It gives J2000 positions and magnitudes. Tracking them down in your images is your problem!  😉

Same for GCs in M33, for that matter.

Thanks! 

I actually found the "whats in my image" script for Pixinsihgt, by SetiAstro. I just marked a random area in my M31 data file, in linear form (with auto-stretch), and it already found a few globulars just at random. I will be having fun with this!

11p.jpg

• Like 2

It's been a while.......here is my latest image with the Seestar from Southern Spain. About 77 minutes on M51.

Individual subs stacked using WBPP in PixInsight. Rest of processing also in PI apart from the final few tweaks.

Doing my own stacking has been a complete game changer. WBPP does an amazing job of rejecting field rotation artefacts!!

But this is also aggressively cropped too! 😉

M51_V1_winedit_cr.thumb.jpg.f099f0df36a0762e4ca5a2446a32da66.jpg

• Like 5

On 23/08/2024 at 07:28, Recretos said:

I actually found the "whats in my image" script for Pixinsihgt, by SetiAstro. I just marked a random area in my M31 data file, in linear form (with auto-stretch), and it already found a few globulars just at random. I will be having fun with this!

Have you tried https://nova.astrometry.net/ This is 10 minutes of M31 last night annotated using this site.

11344266.jpg

• Like 1

s/M31/M13/

FTFY.  😉

https://nova.astrometry.net is an extremely useful site and all imagers should know about it, IMAO.

It can also be installed locally.  The Linux/FreeBSD/MacOS versions are very fast. The Windoze version is called ANSVR and although much slower, works well.  If you have ~20GB disk space, you should use the Gaia index files.

Paul

Edited by Xilman
Fixed tyops

You can also run the astrometry setup from Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) -  I do. Just needs the solve-field command to have the prefix WSL in front to run from a windows command prompt.

On 25/08/2024 at 12:21, John_D said:

Have you tried https://nova.astrometry.net/ This is 10 minutes of M31 last night annotated using this site.

Never heard of it, but will check it out. I am finding the "Whats in my image" script for Pixinsight by Seti Astro very good, as it has a nice graphical user interface, and connects and auto-downloads data from various databases, so its an "ultimate" new tool. :)

On 18/08/2024 at 19:55, Recretos said:

Andromeda M31 core, with 4h20min of integration, stacked/processed in Pixinsight. Hopefully, I will do a full-frame mosaic, but that takes patience... lol 

Hi, I managed a mosaic a couple of nights ago. It was much easier than I expected. So I took 3 stacked images from the seestar of the left, middle and right of M31 then after a bit of processing in siril stitched them together using a free program called Hugin. It made the process extremely easy. I always use the seestar in EQ mode so i do not get any rotation. Altogether about 460, 20s subs so about 2.5 hours altogether. In the stargazing mode of the app it is very easy to stop shooting and move the seestar just a little to the right or the left using the button on the screen. I think the N American Nebula might make another good target for a mosaic? any other suggestions gratefully received. 

M31 stitch 30-8-24-jpg.jpg

• Like 7

On 31/08/2024 at 17:25, cimh said:

Hi, I managed a mosaic a couple of nights ago. It was much easier than I expected. So I took 3 stacked images from the seestar of the left, middle and right of M31 then after a bit of processing in siril stitched them together using a free program called Hugin. It made the process extremely easy. I always use the seestar in EQ mode so i do not get any rotation. Altogether about 460, 20s subs so about 2.5 hours altogether. In the stargazing mode of the app it is very easy to stop shooting and move the seestar just a little to the right or the left using the button on the screen. I think the N American Nebula might make another good target for a mosaic? any other suggestions gratefully received. 

Nice work. What you need now is just to gather more data on each panel. NGC 7000 is a good mosaic target, but needs quite a few panels. The heart nebula is also a very good mosaic target.

I never heard of a program called Hugin. But I will look at it for sure. 

Just today I made a mosaic test myself with 5 panels on M31 in alt-az mode, using the ASTAP program. Below is just a preview of the mosaic from integration data, as I still need to drizzle all the frames in Pixinsight and figure out some mosaic settings. But its a proof of concept, that it works. There is a lot of work to do to clean it up, but I have all winter to figure that out. :) 

Untitled-214.jpg

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Recretos said:

Nice work. What you need now is just to gather more data on each panel. NGC 7000 is a good mosaic target, but needs quite a few panels. The heart nebula is also a very good mosaic target.

I never heard of a program called Hugin. But I will look at it for sure. 

Just today I made a mosaic test myself with 5 panels on M31 in alt-az mode, using the ASTAP program. Below is just a preview of the mosaic from integration data, as I still need to drizzle all the frames in Pixinsight and figure out some mosaic settings. But its a proof of concept, that it works. There is a lot of work to do to clean it up, but I have all winter to figure that out. :) 

Untitled-214.jpg

That looks 3D!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ratlet said:

That looks 3D!

Well, Seestar does excel in mosaics, as it has a small FOV with decent resolution so merging more panels gives you quite nice pixel size and details. :) 

NGC 2403, with 10h of integration, 5h of 10s subs from March, with medium to poor quality, and 5h of 20s subs from the past two weeks with better quality. Stacked and processed in Pixinsight.

Untitled-240.jpg

• Like 5

Wizard Nebula NGC-7380 with 13h of integration (10h*10s + 3h*20s) from my usual Bortle 3/4. Stacked and processed in Pixinsight with a Hubble SHO palette, without Drizzle. I will stack with Drizzle overnight and if I like the output, I will post that too.

Image267.png

• Like 3

After being indisposed earlier in the week I managed to catch the moon over the last three nights:

image.jpeg.21986ceb1ee5c2df90adef617cb7d981.jpeg

( 3 down, 25 to go :) )

A few points

1. These photos are directly out of the Seestar rather than being from stacked videos. They were cropped and rotated in GIMP and the mosaic created with ImageMagick. ( The stacked video images, although sharper, seem to have a slight blue hue to them which is annoying. I'm not sure what causes that, maybe just converting to B&W will fix it? )
  2. These three images were derotated and roughly aligned manually in GIMP which was painful. I need a more automated way of doing it.
  3. The Seestar is brilliant for this - it's so quick to set up. If I had to drag the TAL out and set that up each time then this would never have happened.
  • Like 4