SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6 has arrived!

Keithp

Hello everyone,

This is going to make the seasoned veterans laugh!

but will help more newbies (like myself) appreciate a good guide.

Just sorting the pictures out and working on the instructions, so too late tonight to put it up.

Got the package, all delivered today from two suppliers, both of which I can't rate high enough. It's all gone together okay but not 'fired up' so to speak. I'll sort it all tomorrow and post.

Goodnight and regards all

Keithp

Okay then here we go. Bear in mind this is my first :) and I'm really only trying to point out things that are not too clear in the instructions. You should still fully read the supplied instructions.

Picture 1

I like to lay everything all out, then read through the instructions so I can readily identify all the bits. What we're looking at here are the mount head, legs, tube rings at the top along with dovetail mount bar. At the bottom the round white discs are the counterweights and to the left of them, the power pack and various connection wires.

The only things that come when you order the mount are the mount head, legs, hand controller and there was a dovetail bar in the box. Everything else I ordered in addition to the mount. Wasn't sure about the dovetail so ordered one separately, got two now ain't I.

Picture 2.

Following the instructions I used a spirit level to get the tripod dead level. Did this across 3 different directions to make sure. Useful to extend the legs initially by about 4 inches if you have a lot of height difference to adjust, our lawn slopes abit. I'd already worked out that with my scope the eyepeice would be pretty high up, you may need to extend the legs further depending on what scope you've got. I intend sinking 3 slabs into the lawn and leveling them off perminantly for future use.

Picture 3.

Make sure you've plenty of work room here the mount head is heavy and before you put it on the tripod here is the first gotcha! not explained in the instructions. There are two locking threads with knobs at the back of the head make sure you unscrew these flush with the inside of the slot that can be seen on the underside of the head. I did'nt and wondered why the head wouldn't sit level on the tripod!..for 5 mins:iamwithstupid:Also unscrew the threaded rod that dangles between the tripod. Carefully lower the mount head on to the tripod locating the slot on the base with the black square pin that extends from the top of the tripod. Next screw in the threaded bar.

Picture 4.

Attach the the equipment tray and slide up on the threaded rod until it locates against the legs, tighten up the lower knob.

Picture 5.

Unlock the counterbalance shaft, extend it then lock in position.

post-15528-133877367927_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877367962_thumb.jpg

post-15528-13387736797_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877367977_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877367985_thumb.jpg

Picture 6.

Remove the threaded end from the counter balance shaft, get the counter weights and unscrew their clamp threads so the locating holes are clear. Put them, one at a time onto the shaft and tighten the screws to stop them falling off. Warning keep your feet clear, if one does slide off it will be painful if it lands on your foot. Replace the threaded end stop. This is the failsafe if a weight moves.

Picture 7.

The dovetail bar locates in a matching slot on the top of the head, unscrew the clamping threads first. There are two bolts at each end of the dovetail unscrew them flush with the top side of the bar.

Picture 8.

The tube rings have a bolt which is first unscrewed, the ring is then placed on the dovetail and the bolt screwed in from below. I did this loosely at first then screw back the two bolts on the dovetail, again loosely. When the base of the tube ring is sitting squarely on the shoulders of the dovetail then carefully tighten everything up.

Picture 9.

Make sure the tube rings are parallel with each other and at 90 degrees to the dovetail.

Picture 10.

Unscrew each of the clamps on the tube rings and carefully open them backwards. Pick up the tube and place onto the rings being careful to balance it as you go, not too critical here as you will need to balance again later.

post-15528-133877367992_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877367999_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877368005_thumb.jpg

post-15528-13387736801_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877368016_thumb.jpg

Picture 11.

Close the tube rings carefully making sure they hold the tube without deforming it and finally tighten the clamps, again without deforming the tube.

And finally the big gotcha! If you are setting the thing up for the first time and intend to attempt to polar align it make sure you don't start off with the tripod as in picture 2!

The little black peg that sticks up should be pointing due north before you start! DOH!

post-15528-133877368024_thumb.jpg

Very nice Keith. I do remember reading somewhere, and I really don't remember where, that the peg for marking north is moveable, making it so that the tripod leg isn't in the way when you PA, the peg can sit over the leg instead of the gap I think. My HEQ5, has one leg pointing North, not the gap. Might be worth a look at, and perhaps someone with an EQ6 can confirm that.

Yes, I remember the bit about loosening the azimuth bolts so that there is plenty of room for the peg. Also remember the faff about the spreader. Doesn't your EQ6 head have a built-in bubble level? Mine does so I do the levelling once the head is on.

What's the tube you put on it?

Hi Themos,

No bubble with it unless I missed that bit, is it on the head?

The tube is the OTA from the skywatch 250px dob. I've since took the bearings off the tube to allow me to rotate it and slide it up and down between the tube rings.

Couldn't balance it with the weights supplied so the local sports shop has got me some weights of different sizes to pick up tomorrow. With a bit of luck and clear skies I hope to test with electrics attached and maybe computer connection over the weekend.

I'll try and keep this updated as I progress and post the image results in the right section. Obviously I am still using my Fuji s5700, but I'll see what I can do with with this rig....before the next big purchase... this is addictive:headbang:

Regards

All

Hi Themos,

Heh heh, found it:icon_salut: on the flange at the side. Double Doh!

I'll remember that for future, think I'll probably still initially use the spirit level first on the tripod, can't hurt any.

Very nice Keith. I do remember reading somewhere, and I really don't remember where, that the peg for marking north is moveable, making it so that the tripod leg isn't in the way when you PA, the peg can sit over the leg instead of the gap I think. My HEQ5, has one leg pointing North, not the gap. Might be worth a look at, and perhaps someone with an EQ6 can confirm that.

Yes this is true, When I first got my EQ6 I read somewhere that the peg is better put over the leg as it gives more support and puts the counterweights over the leg, apparently this guy had his tripod tip over before he changed the peg position so I did mine before I first used it.

I also have a SW250p OTA attached, very fine setup although you might need a small stool to get a look through EP at times. lol

John

Well the sports shop proved a let down, plastic dumbell weights! :)

I ask you. Went and got my self a 4 pack of 5kg weights from Argos. Not bad at £29.99. I can fully balance with just one of them sandwiched between the two supplied weights that came with the mount. Keeping a second in case I stick anything else on it but think I've pretty much got most eventualities covered.

The other two are up for sale in the appropriate section.

Still been misrable and cloudy over the weekend so I think I'll probably set it all up again and do all the settings in the instructions, bar the polor alignment, in the workshop.

polar even;-)

Regards

All

Archived