Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st crack at M51

beamish

A little disappointed with this-but it was a bonus item anyway so shouldn't complain too much.

Only 17x subs of 60secs at ISO 1600.So it's a bit noisy. Don't know what happened to the other 31 :)

Obviuosly unguided- reason being I never expected it to remain clear for long enough for M51 and M101 to come into view from around the Birch tree (that I planted :)), so didn't bother with setting up two scopes.

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture1571-autosave.jpg

Karlo

Hi Karlo

Dont be too hard on yourself, you have done fine for 17 minutes of 60 secind subs.

I always feel unsatisfied myself until I get over 5 hours!

I put your image into photoshop, and there is more to pull out. But your black point is clipped on the histogram.

Try reprocessing with a several gentle uses of levels and curves.

Cant be to unhappy about that considering its only 17x60secs.I think this galaxy brought home to me the time and amount of exposures that are needed to get these little beauts to show themselves.

Good luck for the forth coming long session Karlo.

What did you mean by 'the other 31' ? Did you lose some subs in stacking?? DSS seems to have a mind of its' own with me sometimes when it comes to losing subs.....:) A nice shot though none the less......

Cheers guys,

The "other 31", these were 45secs at ISO 800 but when stacked, my fears were realised- Lord only knows what the scope was pointing at but it weren't M51-nowt there at all, well nothing of significance to me that is :)

DSS was and has been behaving itself really well of late ( v10)

Karlo

Archived