Anne Hodges the first recorded person in history to be hit by a meteorite

StarDuke82

My home state in the USA has a unique history associated with astronomy and space from the NASA and its work on the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs to building components for the ISS and testing Rockets, but it has something even more unique about it that can’t be claimed by many other places in the world, in addition to this unique event there is another one that inspired our original State Tag of Stars falling from the sky in 1934 a historic meteor shower display lit up the sky that was reportedly so numerous and luminous that it was reported that onlookers could read newspapers by the glow of the light cast by trails of shooting stars, it even inspired a Jazz Song the same year by the title “Stars fell on Alabama”  if you wish to hear it.  The Meteorite that hit Anne Hodges is in the Local University History Museum and can be viewed and even touched by visitors if anyone ever finds themselves on this side of the Pond and wants to visit, the University also has a Observatory that has Public Nights where visitors can come to the observatory and look through the massive telescope. (I really wish I had it 😆) but yea here is a link to her story with a photo of where she got hit on her leg enjoy.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/ann-hodges-meteorite-1954/

• Like 4

Thanks for posting. I followed the link and read about Ann Hodges. What a sad story. Unsurprisingly there is no 'upside' to being hit by a meteorite.

Best regards from George in Lowestoft on a wet and dreary afternoon.

6 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

Did I not read somewhere that there is a town in the USA that has had two Chevys badly damaged by meteorites?

Yes that happened in Peekskill Colorado to a Chevy Malibu

1 hour ago, Hawksmoor said:

Thanks for posting. I followed the link and read about Ann Hodges. What a sad story. Unsurprisingly there is no 'upside' to being hit by a meteorite.

Best regards from George in Lowestoft on a wet and dreary afternoon.

It is Sad and interesting she did survive, and she’s the only person according to the Smithsonian Archives to be hit by a Meteorite other people have been indirectly hit by space debris after impacts but noone has ever been directly hit by one again by scientific standards. Also contrary to online sources mostly based on old historical accounts that may have been exaggerated or misinterpreted no one has ever been killed by a meteorite in our recent history.

• Like 1