Combining osc data

Yes there is, but it really depends what you use to define "good" part.

There is scientifically correct way to get visual representation of captured light. I'm sure that there is a good way to get visually pleasing result as well (probably not the same method though).

5 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes there is, but it really depends what you use to define "good" part.

There is scientifically correct way to get visual representation of captured light. I'm sure that there is a good way to get visually pleasing result as well (probably not the same method though).

I was just wondering if I could make use of the old data with the lp filter or am I just better off getting more with the dual band filter and keeping the filter sets separate? 

In PixInsight you could combine the images with the NBRGB combination tool (stack both as separate images first and extract RGB from the duo narrowband to use as Ha/O3).

The results vary and it takes some effort to try with different settings but i think this might be the easiest way. I would use the stars from the LP filter image and starless mixed from both the LP and duoband one with the NBRGB tool.

Probably not very scientific, but should work to make a nice looking combined image.

Alternatively you could try combining with pixel math using the max operator, but this has potential to go wrong if the 2 datasets vary greatly in SNR. Takes more work to get a nice result IMO. Third option would be combining in Photoshop with the lighten blend mode to get the best parts of the narrowband image added to where you want.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

In PixInsight you could combine the images with the NBRGB combination tool (stack both as separate images first and extract RGB from the duo narrowband to use as Ha/O3).

The results vary and it takes some effort to try with different settings but i think this might be the easiest way. I would use the stars from the LP filter image and starless mixed from both the LP and duoband one with the NBRGB tool.

Probably not very scientific, but should work to make a nice looking combined image.

Alternatively you could try combining with pixel math using the max operator, but this has potential to go wrong if the 2 datasets vary greatly in SNR. Takes more work to get a nice result IMO. Third option would be combining in Photoshop with the lighten blend mode to get the best parts of the narrowband image added to where you want.

I don't have PS so thats a none starter. Wouldn't have a clue how to use it anyway. I'll check out the NBRGB tool. Kinda stuck in my ways with PI using the same half dozen tools, I need to expand my knowledge.