What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

On 10/09/2024 at 21:10, RobertI said:

New Baader Maxbright binoviewer arrived this morning - naturally it’s been raining non-stop ever since. 😉 Tried connecting it to my 1.25” T2 diagonal (non-Baader) but there are few issues, so I will probably order the Baader T2 diagonal to be on the safe side, to go with eyepieces which are also on the way - this is getting expensive! 

IMG_2016.thumb.jpeg.91f4b56b45fdb7a920519c3deb8074dd.jpeg

@RobertI Hi Rob. I noticed on your equipment list at bottom of your posts, that you have a "RC6 for EAA" 

My question is...why the RC6 specifically for EAA? I own an RC8, so I know how great a 'scope they are, but I'm just curious about your reasons ( if any ) you specifically use an RC6 for EAA?

Thanks Rob!

Wes, Liverpool.

36 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@saac @JeremyS The Kindles are brilliant for economic and unlimited choice reasons, but is it only me who still romanticises about holding and smelling a real physical book? 📖📓😊

I love my Kindle especially the convenience and accessibility it gives when traveling. My wife is an avid reader and I've been trying to convert her to the merits of the Kindle as well.  A few years back we had to take emergency action to reduce the number of books we were storing around the house, it was either that or build and extension. We now have a rule, one in one out, it doesn't work - another book cull will be needed by the end of the year :) 

Jim 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saac said:

I love my Kindle especially the convenience and accessibility it gives when traveling. My wife is an avid reader and I've been trying to convert her to the merits of the Kindle as well.  A few years back we had to take emergency action to reduce the number of books we were storing around the house, it was either that or build and extension. We now have a rule, one in one out, it doesn't work - another book cull will be needed by the end of the year :) 

Jim 

@saac Hi Jim! I do concede real books take up a LOT of space and are heavy in numbers when travelling etc! Your wife will probably be stubborn about switching, as am I! lol. I totally get the convenience and massively reduced costs, I think maybe it's just an emotional attachment to books type of thing? 

I will however give the Kindle a try because they're relatively inexpensive!

Regards, Wes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@saac Hi Jim! I do concede real books take up a LOT of space and are heavy in numbers when travelling etc! Your wife will probably be stubborn about switching, as am I! lol. I totally get the convenience and massively reduced costs, I think maybe it's just an emotional attachment to books type of thing? 

I will however give the Kindle a try because they're relatively inexpensive!

Regards, Wes.

My wife had one of the earlier models and while she used it well enough she never really took to it as enthusiastically. She found the screen brightness/tone a bit difficult. The new "paperwhite" models are certainly easier on the eye and more closely resemble a real page. Don't get me wrong I still like my real books, I'm sitting here reading The Time Machine in a beautiful hard bound collection of works by HG Wells. It's a lovely book to own and hold.  I take real joy in my hard bound copy of Lord Of The Rings even though I feel like I've done a work out lifting it down from the shelf  :) 

Jim 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

The truth is rarely pure and never simple - except in this case!

Congratulations on your second DCU - I think they’re simply amazing scopes.

Oh dear - sorry! Moderators, could you delete the duplicates?

• Haha 1

Just now, Nicola Fletcher said:

Oh dear - sorry! Moderators, could you delete the duplicates?

Multiple posts for multiple Taks.  I guess Jeremy will have to get a 3rd DCU to keep things in balance. 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I often. Think that someone is missing a trick with kindles.  They would be great for interactive star maps. 

I think @Stu experimented with running SkySafari on an eReader, not sure which one.

No a real book is special and has magical powers to transport you to another place and sometimes time as well.

The good thing with Kindles is when you nod off reading and smack yourself in the nose….or so I am told 😉

• Like 5

Just arrived by DPD, dew ring heater for RASA 8. The weather is definitely turning now so this will soon be getting plenty of use, hopefully. I love well thought out design and the way this integrates with the scope/dew shield is one of those designs :)  

Jim 

thumbnail_IMG_3541.jpg

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, saac said:

dew shield

Are you referring to the aluminium one, I'm wondering whether it has an open slot one side for camera cable and bracket routing placed on the edge lip of the OD, and can it be attached to the OTA in any orientation? I've got the flexible one ATM, but sometimes it shifts when I place my flat panel on top for flats on my C6.

Youll like the ring, works very well though I've found I only need to use it when it's very humid (like at a dark site).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

Are you referring to the aluminium one, I'm wondering whether it has an open slot one side for camera cable and bracket routing placed on the edge lip of the OD, and can it be attached to the OTA in any orientation? I've got the flexible one ATM, but sometimes it shifts when I place my flat panel on top for flats on my C6.

Youll like the ring, works very well though I've found I only need to use it when it's very humid (like at a dark site).

Yes I have the aluminium dew shield installed at the moment and that has the moulded plastic duct for the camera, power and thermistor cables.  I'm having a rather lazy day today so I'll get it fitted to the scope tomorrow all being well. 

Jim 

On 14/09/2024 at 15:42, saac said:

My wife had one of the earlier models and while she used it well enough she never really took to it as enthusiastically. She found the screen brightness/tone a bit difficult. The new "paperwhite" models are certainly easier on the eye and more closely resemble a real page. Don't get me wrong I still like my real books, I'm sitting here reading The Time Machine in a beautiful hard bound collection of works by HG Wells. It's a lovely book to own and hold.  I take real joy in my hard bound copy of Lord Of The Rings even though I feel like I've done a work out lifting it down from the shelf  :) 

Jim 

@saac I'm going to borrow my sisters Kindle and have a night reading in bed, see if I like it Jim. 

There's something really unique and special about reading a story rather than "seeing" it on tv. Reading the story is much more immersive psychologically, I find for me personally? I'm guessing because your mind has to "create" the scenes and characters you're reading about? 

Happy reading and clear Skies my friend!

( it's looking good for tonight Jim! I'm just starting to charge everything up ready for tonight! )

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@saac I'm going to borrow my sisters Kindle and have a night reading in bed, see if I like it Jim. 

There's something really unique and special about reading a story rather than "seeing" it on tv. Reading the story is much more immersive psychologically, I find for me personally? I'm guessing because your mind has to "create" the scenes and characters you're reading about? 

Happy reading and clear Skies my friend!

( it's looking good for tonight Jim! I'm just starting to charge everything up ready for tonight! )

The weather report says we are going be covered UK wide in a high system for most of the week , it's certainly looking good through to Wed. I may even get my fence painted without having to resort to warming the paint tin in a bucket of hot water! It's always a challenge to get it done before October because it's too late to paint outside by then :) 

I totally agree re reading a story rather than watching a movie. Reading demands your full attention, you need to actively participate and that includes your imagination. Watching is passive, all the imagination has been done by somebody else!  Good luck with the kindle and the stars, I'm just about to put the telescope  in the observatory and get ready for night fall, hopefully not tempting fate :) 

Jim  

On 15/09/2024 at 14:55, Elp said:

Got the dew heater ring fitted today, pretty straightforward (comprehensive instructions came with it). Here's the wee duct in the dew shield that allows the cables to exit neatly. Can you spot that some muppet put the celestron sticker on the dew shield upside down - oops🤣

Jim 

thumbnail_IMG_3544.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks, confirms my suspicions, I wouldn't be able to use it because my cable routing bracket sits on top of the lip on the edge of the OD so the dew shield will foul with it and not fit. Guess I'm stuck with the flexible one.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@Dave scutt brilliant mate! 

I love it when the posty' brings me my astro gear, I'm like a little boy at Christmas! LOL

I recognise that feeling, trouble is it gets addictive :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1