What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

51 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@CraigT82 Thanks for the link Craig, I'll get myself one, really need to upgrade from my 7AH!

Wow that's brilliant Craig! I'm lucky if I manage 2.5 hours tracking with my 7AH box running my HEQ5 Pro! 

Thanks again Craig!

Regards, Wes

45 minutes ago, Elp said:

@CraigT82 be interested to know what your real world power draw and time is, was looking at this and also:

Bluetti eb3a (as it has two 12v DC outs),

Jackery 240 plus V2,

Ecoflow River 2.

Don't want to go up to the 500 versions of any.

ATM my LiFePo4 Talentcell can power my hem15, cooled cam at minus 10, autoguiding for 4 hours, likely will drop to 2.5 odd hours during the cold.

Got the laptop plugged in and camera running and it’s now saying 35w draw and 4 hours discharge time.  My laptop will run for approx 2 hours on its own battery so should be more than enough for me. Obviously will be less when it’s cold though, but then so is my own tolerance of being outside! 

Will report back when actually used in anger, not sure how accurate this display is (35w should be around 7 hours of run time from a 256Wh battery, not 4hrs)

• Like 3

Usually I think, you divide the WH capacity by your Watt power draw to give you an approx time. Also depends on whether your equipment has a tolerance for voltage drop, my Talentcell drops to 10V when it's near empty but the equipment still runs fine. First 2 hours odd it stays above 12v. Other mounts don't like the slightest voltage change.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elp said:

Usually I think, you divide the WH capacity by your Watt power draw to give you an approx time. Also depends on whether your equipment has a tolerance for voltage drop, my Talentcell drops to 10V when it's near empty but the equipment still runs fine. First 2 hours odd it stays above 12v. Other mounts don't like the slightest voltage change.

@Elp So true, your final sentence. My SW HEQ5 Pro goes haywire when power box is getting low/dropped voltage. It tends to be working perfectly up to around 2-2.5 hours, then depending on the season, winter or summer, it gets past 2 hours and starts going haywire. In summer/warmer nights it'll get to 3 hours almost before it goes nuts. Tell you what though, for only 7AH it performs well considering it's powering my big HEQ5 Pro.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 18:47, RobertI said:

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with Maxbrights Alan, seriously considering replacing my William Optics BVs……

I think you should just do it Rob.......:evil62:

• Like 2

Postie has been with a very modest spend item, all because I read about eyepiece cases….

Ordered 3pm yesterday, delivered in under 24 hours👍 Grand job Allendale

IMG_9678.thumb.jpeg.040e5ad566c630ea8f8322332c8a2813.jpeg
And fitted to my old and trusty Maplin case

IMG_9679.thumb.jpeg.af554ba5393083551c0bab9572980814.jpeg

• Like 11

Can't wait to test my new Explore Scientific 62° Series, 26mm, which comes to upgrade my basic 25mm MA that came with the Mak. This will provide me a bit more of FOV (god knows you need that in a Mak) and hopefully amazingly sharp views. 

I'm in that phase where I'm planning to buy a new scope but where I'm hesitating in favor of upgrading my gear (I have a set budget per month that I set aside for astro-purchases). I'll keep you posted :grin:

20240903_175437.jpg

• Like 14

ADM saddle arrived today to make my Vixen GP project complete. This mount  is left setup ready to go for a quick session and is my most used mount

17254750335325575590306880615842.thumb.jpg.fd4e1aa4860323a03fc78bf1284af542.jpg .

• Like 17

I am taken aback by the generosity of @AltocumulusGeoff who sent me almost half a roll of Baader solar film for free (I just had to sort the postage). I have been looking for ages to make a full aperture solar filter for my 12" Dob but all UK and European suppliers are out of stock for the foreseeable future.

It's not the first time an SGL member that I have never met before has been so generous with me. What a fantastic community!!❤️

Let's hope the skies clear at some point to give it a try.

PXL_20240905_141029600.thumb.jpg.6520a8960295a8f95313643168cb1690.jpg

• Like 18

I'm very excited because I got this ultra-thin (5.5mm) CAA (camera angle adjuster), or, simply, rotator. Finally, I can combine a female Canon EF/T2 adaptor with this CAA. Apart from filters and some thin spacers, it's one of the thinnest astro-gear I've ever purchased.

https://www.altairastro.com/ts-optics-t2-thread-360-rotation-and-quick-changer---55mm-short-9235-p.asp

I'm impressed by its quality. After some DIY/ATM work (which I'll describe elsewhere), it easily holds my 2600MC camera attached to a Sigma 40mm lens. ☺️

image.thumb.png.2d2d598b190c36bc3478b89b9c767934.png

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

That's what I've discovered since my new 152mm arrived....

I've the opposite, a week on sunshine, thought I'll order some clouds need to water the garden 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

I've the opposite, a week on sunshine, thought I'll order some clouds need to water the garden 

Arrange p&p and I'll gladly send you all I can spare - say 8 oktas of the stuff..... I'll throw in the drizzle and the haar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Selection of AliExpress's finest electronic components.  Mostly just connectors so I can have a tidy setup for the DIY autofocusser.  Really dig the gx12 connectors, they're a bit more robust than a plug for sure.  Also a small esp32 module for a side project.

PXL_20240907_202800831.jpg

• Like 7