Narrowband

Saturn IR 685

neil phillips

Despite high pressure seeing was pretty bad.  Would not stay in focus, Stubbornly kept at it, improved a little as it got higher. 

But i am already making improvements from the ICE breaker shot i think

Glad i didn't use the 12. Stella

245mm Orion 462c IR685 

better.png 90.png R.png sg.png

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

You've done well there Neil.  I've never seen such bad seeing as there was for Venus. Impossible to focus. 

You had the same by the looks. Constantly turning into blur. I had that seeing effect last year. often under high pressure. its like a warm air thing. not jet stream. Color shot was pants 

Cheers

Edited by neil phillips

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

You had the same by the looks. Constantly turning into blur. I had that seeing effect last year. often under high pressure. its like a warm air thing. not jet stream. Color shot was pants 

Cheers

Yep, like blasting the secondary with a hair drier. I packed up without even attempting to image lol Looks clear again next week after the weekend thunder.

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

Yep, like blasting the secondary with a hair drier. I packed up without even attempting to image lol Looks clear again next week after the weekend thunder.

Last time i had this seeing it lasted a while if i remember. Hopefully not

Great capture. Some nice details despite the not stable seeing. Do you think it's related to hot weather and cooling at night as we had it last summer? I hope not!

3 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Looks a good start Neil, not particularly easy at the moment given the position, even when the seeing is decent. Some nice detail visible nonetheless.

Thanks Pete yes its encouraging this early poor seeing 

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Great capture. Some nice details despite the not stable seeing. Do you think it's related to hot weather and cooling at night as we had it last summer? I hope not!

I am convinced its a warm air problem mixing with colder air. Ever felt the warm pockets of heat when swimming ? That kind of logic. I am unsure of the dynamics or how it equalizes though ? Or how long it takes. But it can equalize, and it can be stubborn. From what i remember 

Cheers RE Saturn

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

I am convinced its a warm air problem mixing with colder air. Ever felt the warm pockets of heat when swimming ? That kind of logic. I am unsure of the dynamics or how it equalizes though ? Or how long it takes. But it can equalize, and it can be stubborn. From what i remember 

Cheers RE Saturn

I am with you on mixing hot/cold currents, and it hardly stabilised last season with a few exceptions, at least for me. At least the Jetstream is at bay at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

I am with you on mixing hot/cold currents, and it hardly stabilised last season with a few exceptions, at least for me. At least the Jetstream is at bay at the moment.

Agreed that was my memory too for the most part.