Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Makes no sense really, but ......

John

It was astro society talk night so I've been up to Bristol and back this evening.

The sky is not properly dark until the early hours.

There is a lot of thin cloud about tonight so deep sky objects will probably be difficult at best.

So why have I put a telescope out ?🤔

The answer must be that I just like looking though them !!!

It will be the familiar and easy targets tonight, probably double stars which gleam back like old friends through the warm air.

What could be better 😁 👍

20230609_222138.jpg

• Like 21

With the warmer evenings and, perhaps, lower expectations with the lack of astronomical darkness, it always seems so relaxing observing this time of year. It’s one of my favourite times of year to observe for that very reason. No straining or pushing to the limits, just enjoying the brighter targets. Planetary nebulae are good this time of year. 

• Like 7

Yes, there is always something to see setup there. I often feel the need for a quick fix or just the opportunity to relax under the stars, usually involving a telescope or pair of binoculars. Last night I had planned to do something, but too tired, I looked at Venus and Mars through 10x50s, a lovely sight. 

• Like 5

I'm very happy observing in the summer as I don't cope very well with the cold in the winter, which isn't very helpful in this hobby. A session in the twilight with whilst not being freezing is a good session in my book!

• Like 4

I struggle to stay up beyond 11pm because of early morning starts, so for me mid summer means easy bright targets, just becoming visible in the twilight:  Izar, Rasalgethi, the double double, M13 and M57 on most of these clear  nights. And Venus of course. Cygnus is still too low in early evening 😞

• Like 4

I must admit I do enjoy doing lunar observing whilst wearing a t-shirt in the summer months. Throw in some of my favourite doubles and a few PN. This is sufficient to get me through the lack of astro darkness.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I must admit I do enjoy doing lunar observing whilst wearing a t-shirt in the summer months. Throw in some of my favourite doubles and a few PN. This is sufficient to get me through the lack of astro darkness.

Only a t-shirt?   Well now, I suppose if it’s dark no one will notice you only have a t-shirt on😁

• Haha 6