Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

upgrade reflex: Player One Ares (533) or Artemis (294)?

gaiden

Hi!
I'd like to upgrade my setup for DSO with a cooled camera. (actually I'm shooting with a Canon 500D defiltered)

I'd like a color camera, in a budget around 1000€; then here we are: or IMX533 or IMX294

533 is a newer sensor with a lot of benefits but my worries are about his size.. maybe too small for my 80ED+0,8x reductor?

294 could be the right one but... in ZWO Camera I read a lot of troubles about this sensor: flats, darks and dark flats difficult to obtein and an incompatibility with narrow band filters (l-extreme) wich brings red halos hard to remove in PP. 
My question is: this sensor has da same problems in the Player One Artemis too?

someone has any kind of experience with this camera? 

thank you so much!

It would be wonderful if you could extend your budget for an IMX571, but I can understand that these are too pricey cameras.

You can check with the field of view calculator in Astronomy Tools:

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Select "Imaging mode", put your camera and telescope combination, then test the various targets which interest you.

That said, the newer IMX533 and IMX571 sensors are very nice and easy to work with. No amp glow etc makes for easier processing.

(wish there was an IMX294-size sensor with the IMX571 technology)

Edited by nfotis

I purchased the new Poseidon-C IMX571 camera. I just received it about a week ago. The camera is wonderful, I've only had it out once though. Reaching back focus is tough on my set up. It usually requires 55mm of back focus. Well, because I'm using a Takahashi Sky 90ll NSV with a focal reducer/flattener, 56.2mm is needed. My first and only try using it produced bad focus in the corners. So far I'm liking the Poseidon-C... if you can save a few more dollars, pounds or euros, I definitely look into this camera. I was going to purchase the same camera as you until I read up on the Poseidon-C. Good luck either way you go.

• Like 1

thank you!
yes, an IMX571 should be great but my sorrows go not just at the budget but also the big size raw that it produces: not easy to store and postproduct I think

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2023 at 17:20, gaiden said:

Hi!
I'd like to upgrade my setup for DSO with a cooled camera. (actually I'm shooting with a Canon 500D defiltered)

I'd like a color camera, in a budget around 1000€; then here we are: or IMX533 or IMX294

533 is a newer sensor with a lot of benefits but my worries are about his size.. maybe too small for my 80ED+0,8x reductor?

294 could be the right one but... in ZWO Camera I read a lot of troubles about this sensor: flats, darks and dark flats difficult to obtein and an incompatibility with narrow band filters (l-extreme) wich brings red halos hard to remove in PP. 
My question is: this sensor has da same problems in the Player One Artemis too?

someone has any kind of experience with this camera? 

thank you so much!

The problems are inherent to the sensor not the camera it is placed in and so the 294 is going to be a pain irrespective of brand unless of course you happen to luck out and get a good one as the effect changes from sensor to sensor. 

Adam

• Like 1

On 09/06/2023 at 19:18, nfotis said:

(wish there was an IMX294-size sensor with the IMX571 technology)

IMX472 would be the current closest candidate but I would think it's only a matter of time really. 

Adam

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

IMX472 would be the current closest candidate but I would think it's only a matter of time really. 

Adam

Will see.

There's still a large gap between the IMX533 and the IMX571, both in area and in price.

At worst, I am hoping that the more and more competition between providers of the IMX571 will bring the prices down

(I know, fat chance of this...)