Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS Photobombs the Sun - 07/06/23

ISS Photobombs the Sun 07/06/23

Well, my first attempt at capturing an ISS solar transit. And surprisingly everything fitted together - the transit didn’t drift far from the initial calculations, the sky was actually clear, it was during the late afternoon when I wasn’t working, or on the school run etc. I used the excellent ISS Transit Finder website…

https://transit-finder.com

IMG_2876.png.4cac32a9d5860ade94b44945b3c5fdfd.png

First video in real time - it’s fast! - about 1sec to cross the disc. I’d started the video about 1 minute before. That 60 seconds seemed to go on for an age. Surprisingly exciting to see the ISS flash past the screen.  

Second video slowed to 1/8 full speed.

Image created using every 5 frames. Took a while to work out how to do this on the phone. Might give it another go to see if I can do better.

IMG_2862.jpeg.28ad2095c859bb9c9581be01bdeda2aa.jpeg

Image of ISS and sunspot.

IMG_2885.jpeg.8c3520d026daf5f0dbf7637824c84601.jpeg

Captured from home in Southampton. SkyWatcher 200p Dob on DIY EQ platform. DIY solar filter using Baader AstroSolar Safety Film. BST StarGuider 25mm. iPhone 14 Pro held to the eyepiece using a no-brand smartphone adapter. Video shot using the stock camera app set to 4K at 60fps. All editing done on the phone using the stock camera app, iMovie, Snapseed & Lightroom. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 26

That's fantastic and ISS next to the sun spot is awesome. The shape is really nicely defined. That's the best mobile phone transit I have seen. I have been imaging ISS for the last 3 years and a transit has eluded me.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Kon said:

That's fantastic and ISS next to the sun spot is awesome. The shape is really nicely defined. That's the best mobile phone transit I have seen. I have been imaging ISS for the last 3 years and a transit has eluded me.

Thanks! I was very surprised that it all came together at the first attempt. Definitely lucky in that respect. 

However, I was a bit miffed that I had to use my StarGuider 25mm. I have a few StarGuiders which I like, but this isn’t my favourite and I keep meaning to upgrade it.  I have the 15mm which I find good (just right for pictures of full disc solar) but with iPhone video it cropped the edges. 25mm being a bit too zoomed out. 18mm might just be about perfect and possibly give a better result that the 25mm. Maybe not. Conditions/seeing were also good.

And I was pleasantly surprised that you can recognise the shape of the ISS. For a first go I would have been happy with more of a fizzy blob. That’s if I ever get the chance of another go! 

36 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Thanks! I was very surprised that it all came together at the first attempt. Definitely lucky in that respect. 

However, I was a bit miffed that I had to use my StarGuider 25mm. I have a few StarGuiders which I like, but this isn’t my favourite and I keep meaning to upgrade it.  I have the 15mm which I find good (just right for pictures of full disc solar) but with iPhone video it cropped the edges. 25mm being a bit too zoomed out. 18mm might just be about perfect and possibly give a better result that the 25mm. Maybe not. Conditions/seeing were also good.

And I was pleasantly surprised that you can recognise the shape of the ISS. For a first go I would have been happy with more of a fizzy blob. That’s if I ever get the chance of another go! 

I am not sure  it matters which eyepiece but for transits you are not going to get much detail anyways. Your focusing is spot on as well. Your first attempt, really? You can't tell! Well done again.

22 hours ago, Kon said:

I am not sure  it matters which eyepiece but for transits you are not going to get much detail anyways. Your focusing is spot on as well. Your first attempt, really? You can't tell! Well done again.

You are probably correct. Although when I’ve taken images of the full solar disc the 15mm gives better contrast and details of sunspots. So, I was thinking more of that rather than the ISS and transit.

Focusing is made more difficult with the phone attached to the eyepiece. And in daylight there’s a lot of screen glare. Personally (there are other ways), I find it easier to first get a rough focus, then do a AE/AF lock (allows you to lock the focus and exposure values). Then fine tune using the telescope  focuser to the now locked focus of the  camera. Maybe take a guest shot/video to make sure it’s spot on. This also prevents the phone trying to hunt for focus which is especially annoying in the middle of a video!

It’s certainly fun and if I get the chance I’ll give it another go. A lunar transit would obviously be worth a go but will need to wait a while for that.

• Like 1