Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS can't find the stars.

Hi All.

I have a friend who has been struggling with some weird things when stacking data so I got a copy of the data and tried stacking it myself. However, Deep Sky Stacker gives me this error. I've tried with and without the calibration frames and have checked the individual FITS files using ASI FITS Viewer, which all look okay to me. I'e attached one of the FITS files. Is anyone able to offer any advice as this one has me stumped?

TIA.

Screenshot_2023-06-07_at_20.43.10.png

Pinwheel_00010.fits

Try with another stacker, like Siril?

DSS is quite picky about what it considers a star and what it does not. If the shots are underexposed and/or trailed/out of focus then DSS might not want to use any of the images.

Stars are fine in focus and round? Right clicking one of the good star images in the list and making "use as reference frame" may help. If the image has lots of noise it will also throw up that same error, I've had it sometimes when imaging with an uncooled camera.

Just had a look at the FITS file, stars look very weak and soft with only 39 found with the findstar command. Looks like the shots are well out of focus and i think DSS wont be made to stack these. I think you might get an image out of Siril with subs like these as long as the rest are not too much worse.

I tried the FIT in DSS, and only got 3 stars at the lowest threshold 2%.

DSS will reject elongated stars.

All stars except possibly the bottom right corner are elongated, suggesting Tilt.

But if others think they're all elongated, then guide errors.

Michael