SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First look at GB3MBA backscatter beacon

Recorded with a Moxon antenna and a SDR RSPdx reciever.  Some 10 hours of recording split into 30 minute sessions. 230 meteors in total. Aircraft are a bit of a problem but not too bad.

Mostly tiddlers recorded but a couple of notable ones as per pictures

I have used GRAVES in the past but thought I would see what the UK beacon would produce. At least they won't turn this one off during the peak meteor showers

Moxonbarchart.jpg

mox2.PNG

mox1.PNG

Edited by Tomatobro
more info
  • Like 6

Based on the research done by others these trace's can be interpreted as follows.

The thin horizontal line at the start of the trace is the meteor head echo and shows the doppler shift. The broad vertical trace is the ionisation trail echo and can be used to identify wind shear and other high altitude atmospheric conditions

Re the Link

For some reason the "Get in Touch" pop up does not work. I have contacted UKRAA direct about this and they confirmed that they raised the issue but tried it just now and it still returns the email as undeliverable. Will raise the issue again

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello 

I have just started to set up for recieving meteor pings form the GB3MBA transmitter. How have you managed to set it to record the meteors that it has detected and record that into a chart? 

I hve been monitoring on GRAVES for several years, but I use spectrumlab and colourgrame in order to getthe daily / monthly hits. 

Following the instructions given by the GB3MBA website I have been using SDR console - any help would be appreciated 

Thank you 

Tracey