Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

28°N, New Moon, B2, what would you be shooting?

OK Apricot

We have a short trip to Fuerteventura next week and I'll be taking my mini rig travelling for the first time. I remember the skies on a good night there, and it gives me butterflies thinking I could soon be shooting under it! 

I have a couple of targets on my list - M8/M20, M16, Omega Centauri - but looking for a little inspiration so I make the most of my time there. I could just shoot targets I've shot before but under good quality sky. I could use the opportunity to shoot targets I can't see from home. Would you bother using NB filters? 

My setup is a Sharpstar 61EDPH II with reducer and an ASI533MC-Pro giving roughly a 2.4° fov. 

What are you shooting? 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps target some of the large Milky Way nebulae that are difficult or impossible from the UK, such as NGC 6357 (Lobster Nebula, Scorpius), NGC 6334 (Cat's Paw Nebula, Scorpius), (IC 4628, Scorpius) and NGC 6188 (the Fighting Dragons of Ara). The latter is low down, but I've caught it from Tenerife.

Don't do what I did, though - imaged Omega Centauri with a 90mm lens on a star tracker and only realized when I got home that the bright galaxy Centaurus A was also in the frame but right on the edge! It would have made a great subject along with Omega.

Regards, and clear, dark skies, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
Typo