Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Trails - 2024 Mexico and USA Total Solar Eclipse Trips.

Has anybody booked, or thinking of booking, one of these trips with Astro Trails? We (my wife and I) are currently looking into booking with them to see the April 2024 Total Solar Eclipse from Mexico. Originally we thought of doing the trip they were advertising to view the eclipse from near the Niagara Falls, followed by a trans USA Amtrak Rail Trip across the USA visiting New York, Washington, Chicago, Denver, and ending up in and flying back from San Francisco. However Astro Trails informed us that they are no longer offering this trip due to lack of interest, so looking at the Mexico trip instead. 

We had a very successful trip to see the 2019 Argentina Total Eclipse with another company Astro Eclipse, which was well organised, however as far as we can see this company no longer appears to be operating. Although their website is still live, it is out of date, and there is nothing available to book at present, hence looking at Astro Trails.

Astro Trails currently require a 50% deposit to book, with the balance to be paid by December, which is similar to what Astro Eclipse required, we appreciate that its not like booking a holiday with JET2 or TUI, where you just need to pay a £60 pp deposit, with the balance not due until about 10 weeks before the departure date.

Unlike Astro Eclipse however, Astro Trails do not include International Flights in their price, or even transfers from and to the International airport, you can either book these yourselves, or via their partner Star Travel. Either way the full cost of the flights is due at the time of booking, which means that I would have to pay out about 2/3rds of the total cost now. I am therefore a little  wary about having to pay out so much, especially for the flights, 10 months before the departure date.

John  

Edited by johnturley

• 3 weeks later...

Have now booked the Mexico Tour 4 with Astro Trails, paying a 50% deposit, I have also booked return flights from London Heathrow to Mexico City with British Airways via their partner Star Travel. Booking the flights via Star Travel worked our slightly cheaper than booking direct with British Airways, the cost of which has gone up by around £500 pp since the beginning of June. I also thought that booking via Star Travel would work better if Astro Trails for any reason decided to amend dates, or even cancelled the entire trip.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has also booked this trip, or any other trip to view the 2024 Mexico/USA Total Solar Eclipse.

John 

Edited by johnturley

• 4 weeks later...

Astro Trails are now saying on their website that there is limited availability on all their existing Mexico Eclipse Trips, although they they have now added on a 4 day 'Mexican Quickie', thought I would mention it anyone is still considering booking a trip. 

John 

Edited by johnturley

• 1 month later...

Not impressed with my dealings with Astro Trails so far compared to Astro Eclipse.

Received my final invoice a few days ago, and they want to charge us an extortionate price of £85 per person each way (making a total of £340 for 2 persons) for the transfers from the airport to the hotel in Mexico City, which apparently is only 12km away, and regardless of how many people on the trip are arriving on the same British Airways flight (BA 243 arriving in Mexico City at 19.45). Originally I understood that this price was based on just 2 people in a taxi, and that the price per person would be less if they could they arrange shared transport. In any event £170 for a 12km taxi journey seems outrageous, with Astro Eclipse ALL transfers were included.

Is there anybody else on this trip that is arriving via flight BA243 on 4 April, it so what arrangements have you made for the transfers, if you haven't arranged anything maybe we could look into sharing a taxi.

John  

Edited by johnturley

Hi John,

My wife and I are booked on Astro Trails Mexico Tour 2 which starts on 31st March. I think Astro Trails is a pretty good company and communication has been very good. I’m looking forward to the trip.

As for the transfer to your hotel from the airport, Mexico City is really well served by Uber. We’ve been to Mexico City several times and have used Uber to get around with no problems.

• 2 months later...

Hi John . We are on the same flight as you and have a taxi booked with the hotel.  What return flight are you on?  If you don't have taxi booked as yet we are happy to share.

• Like 1

Is the area of Mexico more favorable for clear skies? Not that I could go there, but I'm concerned everywhere I look in the States that time of the year.

Right now my plan is lower Missouri. It would be a 900 mile drive, which is the closest distance. 

12 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Is the area of Mexico more favorable for clear skies? Not that I could go there, but I'm concerned everywhere I look in the States that time of the year.

Right now my plan is lower Missouri. It would be a 900 mile drive, which is the closest distance. 

According to the information on Astro Trail's website (UK Tour Organiser), the likelihood of clear skies in the Torreon area of Northern Mexico, is greater than for most locations in the USA, but who knows.

Mexico / USA Total Solar Eclipse 2024 | Astro Trails (astro-trails.com)

John 

Edited by johnturley