Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I use DSS 'master' calibration files in other stacking software?

adyj1

When I stack exposures in Deep Sky Stacker, it creates a 'master' version of all the calibration files that it used (in my case a 'masterdark'.tif, a 'masterflat'.tif and a 'masterdarkflat.tif').

My questions are whether I can;

a) use *just* these master files as the calibration files in future DSS stacks (rather than loading up all the individual calibration .fits files), and

b) use them in other stacking software (such as Affinity Photo) - again instead of using all the individual calibration files.

I have tried it and it seemed to work - but I'd like confirmation that I'm not doing something daft (what with AP being a dark art and all 😉 )

Thanks

Ady

5 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

When I stack exposures in Deep Sky Stacker, it creates a 'master' version of all the calibration files that it used (in my case a 'masterdark'.tif, a 'masterflat'.tif and a 'masterdarkflat.tif').

My questions are whether I can;

a) use *just* these master files as the calibration files in future DSS stacks (rather than loading up all the individual calibration .fits files), and

b) use them in other stacking software (such as Affinity Photo) - again instead of using all the individual calibration files.

I have tried it and it seemed to work - but I'd like confirmation that I'm not doing something daft (what with AP being a dark art and all 😉 )

Thanks

Ady

Yes to A)... I compared stacking with the master files and individual files in DSS with the same results... at least I couldn't see a difference when pixel peeping...

And I'd say NO to B), I tried using the DSS generated master dark in Nebulosity and my stacks came out severely blacks clipped... so No to at least Nebulosity.