SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Berlebach Planet, increase angle on tripod legs

Acrab67

Hi,

Following the advice and indications of Luxo II, from the CloudyNights forums, I have raised the spacer giving the tripod legs an angle of 30º in order to provide the tripod with greater stability. Like him, if someone decides to do this, I advise using a drill bit to drill the new holes before screwing. The heads are weak and will fade if excessive force is used when screwing. By the way, I have had no problems using the tray with this new layout. The trick is to fold the tripod a bit so that it allows the tray to be inserted. Waiting to receive the new clamps too.

IMG20230606095957.jpg

IMG20230606095832.jpg

IMG20230606095725.jpg

• Like 4

i did the identical mod at the start of this year 😇. Easy but quite satisfying and increases the circular footprint quite effectively. i keep meaning to get some little black screws to put in the original holes to finish the job off.

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1

Interesting mod 🙂

Do you use a "spreader stopper" as well as the tray, or just the tray ?

I currently use a "spreader stopper" instead of a tray with my Uni 28 but I feel that the tray might be the more stable option.

Having done similar to my Planet a few years ago, i gave up on the tray (still fits, but awkward) and use a 6" diameter bit of mdf to lock the spread stopper up, gives similar stability as the tray and stops the legs from closing if i lift the tripod when using.

As too different screws to fill the empty screw holes- a bit of wood filler does the job nicely :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of my experience Alan @Alan White I feel there is zero difference in stability between before and after. The planet always felt like it was set in concrete. I only did it to widen the footprint so a longer scope couldn't take its center of gravity outside the footprint no matter were or how carelessly i pointed it. TBH i'm not sure it could have done that even before the mod so it was a purely belt and braces exercise for me.

A small change i did feel made a massive difference was adding spikes. A huge benefit that perversely i only noticed when i temporarily went back to the standard feet.

• Like 2

In the CloudyNights forums there are references to relatively heavy equipment that has been destabilized during the disassembly operation of the tubes and/or weight counters, with the tripod at a 24° angle, which is how it comes by default. The second clamp I installed for safety, not as a solution to cover the brown bricklayer that appeared when moving the spacer, jajajaja