Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Apple Vision Pro

powerlord

For those not following the latest gadgets:

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/

they demoed a planetarium app during the presentation which looked like it would be pretty amazing.

Not out till next year.. and it'll have to be pretty amazingly amazing for 3500 quid.

Still, it'll be interesting if we see any other astro focused AR apps coming in with it. I can imagine asiair being able to make use of it for example to start ARing the sky with your images, maybe extending the social side by augenting the sky with images others are imaging in the same area or groups or whatever as you are, etc ot even extending real time collaboration of stacking across the VRverse ?.

Like any new tech the price will come down. I must admit I was watching it thinking.. this'll be about 1k.. The market was as shocked as me I think with price and delay in availability.

I should say, I'm a long term VR/AR designer/adopter- haveing got my first set in the 90s and built my first mobile phone based set years before oculus. These do look like they could really be good - other than the elephant in the roof - or more accurately the muppet in the room with a massive pair of ski goggles on..  to be seen walking down the street and in front of your car next year!

stu

Just now, powerlord said:

For those not following the latest gadgets:

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/

they demoed a planetarium app during the presentation which looked like it would be pretty amazing.

Not out till next year.. and it'll have to be pretty amazingly amazing for 3500 quid.

Still, it'll be interesting if we see any other astro focused AR apps coming in with it. I can imagine asiair being able to make use of it for example to start ARing the sky with your images, maybe extending the social side by augenting the sky with images others are imaging in the same area or groups or whatever as you are, etc ot even extending real time collaboration of stacking across the VRverse ?.

Like any new tech the price will come down. I must admit I was watching it thinking.. this'll be about 1k.. The market was as shocked as me I think with price and delay in availability.

I should say, I'm a long term VR/AR designer/adopter- haveing got my first set in the 90s and built my first mobile phone based set years before oculus. These do look like they could really be good - other than the elephant in the roof - or more accurately the muppet in the room with a massive pair of ski goggles on..  to be seen walking down the street and in front of your car next year!

stu

Too pricy for me, i am stuck with quest 2. Which is good enough for a decent planetarium simulation. But your other ideas would take development

The price is not so shocking to me, considering that there is an apple buffer of at least 1k and that the tech here seems to be pretty good. The display seems to be decent with "23 million pixels" (no other information in the link) overall. Probably something close to a 3000x4000 pixel display for each eye or something like that.

I have a Valve Index but to be honest it sees little use because the resolution is just not there. Reading text or trying to see fine detail on anything is a chore for the eyes with the 1900x1440px displays in the index so its still deep in the gimmick territory IMO. Problem with better displays is that better hardware is needed to push those frames, and framerates will need to be high or the illusion of VR really falls flat which is a double whammy: large resolution and high framerates which means no GPU on earth is capable of doing the job yet. I still think we are a good 5-10 years from resolution and GPU power being at a sweet spot, although i might have said the same 5 years ago.

But still, universe sandbox and No mans sky are really fun in VR even with the limitations. Would love to see more astronomy related apps for sure.

Apple has obviously worked hard to make this really groundbreaking. Some interesting tech, like the 3D videos, and face simulation. I had an Occulus for a while, but sold it eventually - the main problems being lack of resolution, lack of apps and content, and the biggest things - you can’t do anything else while you’re wearing them, not even drink a cup of tea, and they are uncomfortable to wear. I wonder if Apple have solved the “cup of tea” problem? 🙂