Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi & help.

Hello fellow stargazers.

I have returned to viewing the cosmos after a few decades break (aka babies!).

The world of telescopes  (and mounts) has changed dramatically during my time away. I decided to start small, and got a second-hand Skywatcher Explorer 150p and fell upon the SW6R-Pro at a good price I could not refuse (future-proofing). I am a freelance photographer and thought I would have a go with imaging as I already have multiple cameras in hand.

I have run into a problem, I cannot see through the polarscope. Mount is pointing to geo. North, everything is all level and balanced, inputted the altitude (which is latitude, it seems as though polaris is at a higher elevation).I set the mount up and rotate the  DEC & RA so I can see throught the mount and get the reticule to make a + instead of the x. I simple cannot see any stars true the polar scope - I have played with LED brightness and nothing. I am  now wondering if it's my physical eyes (I use varifocals, so long and short sighted with astigmatism).

Question here therefore is, how can I carryout a Polar Alignment otherwise. I have been researching guidescopes & the Polemaster but the implication is, I still need to do a manual alignment, if only rough?

It has been very frustrating, any advice would be most appreciated.

Liz

You can get quite close with a compass which has a declination scale on it so you can point to true north, and use a digital inclinometer for the altitude adjustment.

To finish off you can do drift alignment using the camera (DARV method).

If you're happy using a computer out in the field you can use PHD2 or a QHY polemaster. Computer controllers such as a raspberry pi loaded with Astroberry or Stellarmate will have all the software you need on them and you can interact with them via a tablet or mobile, also a ZWO Asiair but youre restricted to ZWO cameras and automation equipment (Canon, Nikon and Sony are supported as are numerous manufacturer mounts). Out of all the methods including ioptrons Ipolar, for me the asiair is by far the easiest.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum Liz.

Don't take this the wrong way , but did you remove the blanking cap on the other side of the mount to the polarscope ? 

Another possibilty is the counterweight bar not fully extended which will block the view.

Things can easily get forgotten in the dark.

• Like 2

Hi I use pole master it very simple to use as it giv instructions on the computer at each step . As already been said use a compass to get north .  And your mobile will give you your coordinates.Pole Master will then allow you to set your mount accurate .just take your time and follow the prompts on your computer. Hope this helps good luck.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Don't take this the wrong way , but did you remove the blanking cap on the other side of the mount to the polarscope ? 

Another possibilty is the counterweight bar not fully extended which will block the view.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Hi, 

Lol, tis a fair question, yes I do take of the polarscope cap. The counterweight bar is also fully extended, I only use one weight as i only have the scope up at present. So no, the bar nor weight is blocking the view.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

You can get quite close with a compass which has a declination scale on it so you can point to true north, and use a digital inclinometer for the altitude adjustment.

To finish off you can do drift alignment using the camera (DARV method).

If you're happy using a computer out in the field you can use PHD2 or a QHY polemaster. Computer controllers such as a raspberry pi loaded with Astroberry or Stellarmate will have all the software you need on them and you can interact with them via a tablet or mobile, also a ZWO Asiair but youre restricted to ZWO cameras and automation equipment (Canon, Nikon and Sony are supported as are numerous manufacturer mounts). Out of all the methods including ioptrons Ipolar, for me the asiair is by far the easiest.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I will try as you suggested. I suspect I may well have to down the path of a guidescope.

2 minutes ago, HesperLiz said:

Hi, 

Lol, tis a fair question, yes I do take of the polarscope cap. The counterweight bar is also fully extended, I only use one weight as i only have the scope up at present. So no, the bar nor weight is blocking the view.

Have you shone a torch down the hole while looking through the polarscope to check that there's not some obstruction , might need another pair of hands.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

Hi I use pole master it very simple to use as it giv instructions on the computer at each step . As already been said use a compass to get north .  And your mobile will give you your coordinates.Pole Master will then allow you to set your mount accurate .just take your time and follow the prompts on your computer. Hope this helps good luck.

Thank you so much for the info on the Pole Master. It's helpful to have that feedback. 

4 minutes ago, knobby said:

Could be the the polar scope is out of focus ....was it new ?

It was 2nd hand, but in excellent condition  - I can focus the polar scope and can see the reticule, just can't see anything beyond that. I have tried adjusting the LED brightness and it makes no discernible difference.

9 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Have you shone a torch down the hole while looking through the polarscope to check that there's not some obstruction , might need another pair of hands.

That, I have not tried. Will do that next. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

No use getting too technical if the mount's not pointing in the right general direction.

I have the mount pointing to celestial North and tried eyeballing towards the, Polaris. The field of view appears to be  fairly narrow and I seem to always missing it. Quite difficult as I cannot see any other stars to even give me a clue as to where i am looking. Honestly, am usually fine with technical devices - this one manual step has me rather baffled.

11 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

You say in the OP  " it seems as though polaris is at a higher elevation"  ... how far off does it appear ?

It is almost directly above me, I have to literally look straight up.

Have you set the home position on the mount yet? Once set and pointing North if you put your scope on it with a low power eyepiece you will definitely see Polaris. This will give you an indication of where you are.

• Like 1