SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Portable power

I am sick of dragging a extension cable and then my regulated power supply out when I am having a quick session 2hrs max. 

I want to be able take the kit to a dark site come winter so I need help choosing the best power supply that is not going to break the bank. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-6-1-ah-powertank-lithium-lt.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank.html

These are my 3 choices up to now

Screenshot_20230604_163728_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.55f6efbcdefcef2d52c8d98bf647b5f9.jpg

Edited by wookie1965

21 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The Celestron LT keeps the output voltage relatively constant throughout its discharge cycle which is great for your mount. For dew heaters this is not necessary.

I do like that one but I read a 7ah supply will last 2hrs maybe less in winter so I'm trying get more info on it. 

I have the smaller Celestron lithium the 6.1 and for powering the mount for a bit of visual it has been working great. Still plenty of charge left and you can also charge a phone or other USB device. No complaints, I use a separate USB powerbank for my dew strip, it's the Celestron Elements one and works well also. The smaller Celestron powertank torch works well for USB power also and I can power the RA drive on the GP2 and the dual axis drives on the AP with this alone, plus you get a red-light torch, neat.

I'd definitely go for the lithium tanks over the older type but I don't think you need the bigger ones unless you're powering cameras, laptops and multiple dew strips. The smaller one is fine for just a mount.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I have the smaller Celestron lithium the 6.1 and for powering the mount for a bit of visual it has been working great. Still plenty of charge left and you can also charge a phone or other USB device. No complaints, I use a separate USB powerbank for my dew strip, it's the Celestron Elements one and works well also. The smaller Celestron powertank torch works well for USB power also and I can power the RA drive on the GP2 and the dual axis drives on the AP with this alone, plus you get a red-light torch, neat.

I'd definitely go for the lithium tanks over the older type but I don't think you need the bigger ones unless you're powering cameras, laptops and multiple dew strips. The smaller one is fine for just a mount.

I am only visual I do take pictures but that's using my phone. 

I have a power bank I use for my dew strips so you say the celestron LT would work perfectly for a good 3/4 hr session. 

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I do like that one but I read a 7ah supply will last 2hrs maybe less in winter so I'm trying get more info on it. 

I have used the LT for 4/5 hours driving my EQ5 pro and have still had charge left in it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Brilliant its one of them then. 

If it’s powering the EQ5 alone you will comfortably get the 4/5 hours and still have charge left. I have used it throughout the winter as well without problems.

• Thanks 1

During the summer the LT lasts around 3-4 hours full AP rig cooled camera with charge left, during winter 2-3 hours drained completely. For alt az viewing with an azgti it'll probably do 6 hours plus in good weather, last time I did it I'd estimate up to 8-9 hours. The Talentcell is much better, can also power my gem AP setup whereas the LT doesn't power everything (cam doesn't want to come on, or mount). Dew bands are powered with their own independent usb power banks. The C6 Celestron dew heater ring will drain an LT within 3-4 hours. The LT can only power 12v out or usb, not both at the same time.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

During the summer the LT lasts around 3-4 hours full AP rig cooled camera with charge left, during winter 2-3 hours drained completely. For alt az viewing with an azgti it'll probably do 6 hours plus in good weather, last time I did it I'd estimate up to 8-9 hours. The Talentcell is much better, can also power my gem AP setup whereas the LT doesn't power everything (cam doesn't want to come on, or mount). Dew bands are powered with their own independent usb power banks. The C6 Celestron dew heater ring will drain an LT within 3-4 hours. The LT can only power 12v out or usb, not both at the same time.

I will only be running the mount from it I have a power bank for my dew strips I dont attach Cameras, laptops or any AP stuff  thanks looks like the LT will suffice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

so you say the celestron LT would work perfectly for a good 3/4 hr session. 

Absolutely, if it's just running a small mount it should be all you need. I don't think simple tracking and the occasional goto slew uses too much power, though it would obviously last longer in the warmer months.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Absolutely, if it's just running a small mount it should be all you need. I don't think simple tracking and the occasional goto slew uses too much power, though it would obviously last longer in the warmer months.

With doing double stars I am often doing 20 objects plus whatever clusters, PN`s and Planets but I have just got one from Grover's Optics with delivery £96.99 FLO had none in stock and they are £114 to start without postage  all I can do is try it now thank you very much everyone I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

With doing double stars I am often doing 20 objects plus whatever clusters, PN`s and Planets but I have just got one from Grover's Optics with delivery £96.99 FLO had none in stock and they are £114 to start without postage  all I can do is try it now thank you very much everyone I really appreciate it.

How about one of these, recommended by @JOC in another thread? Around the same price as the smaller Celestron Powertank but with the capacity of the larger one!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385390539382?hash=item59bb10f276:g:TGQAAOSwL0tiUVgv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8IDUsQUvx7SSsKHP2yr3Mxvc%2B2F1aIjrsLjuFscOr9uWqGBjxruvv0YT0Urd4sw4n6EskMho7%2FPx%2BipwgBVq%2BXkCGqI34rZM2w2czLawbKEFZOLendGxpvoG5gb0yOX8xGc%2BMBtQpMeUCU0qaBXTgIkx2WTk87Z%2FZcyFrykgcBU2lCwoWTEF1Hu2VLLzQz3%2Fbir1FhOf9yj%2Fc%2B2rVLU8izOGNfbjjz7F8%2FNAEHJbI9vycW25wLjuhOnZRboVjhZoNGvq5ZV9HowbOMapU1VNmxhZRzqL2WYr2TzhhNC7qhyK3IRm91dS51RAkjQZQKiHwg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMtPDY8ohi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Hello, have you used that to power your Vixen GPDX ?

yes, but not much. I dont use that mount except for outreach.

They drive my Dob drive, digital finder. dew heaters. I also use them generally at home when ever I need portable power. For instance topping up tyres with an electric inflator - easier than plugging into the car.

• Like 2