Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reviving an old Coronado PST

AstroKeith

My (old) Coronado PST has been ignored for many years due to poor performance. I decided to either fix it or throw it away.

On dismantling of course it was the itf filter gone 'rusty'. Options to replace it in the UK are all expensive, so I went for a whole new Meade replacement  draw tube complete with BF.

Amazing! I think it now works better than it ever did. But of course there is lots of activity just now.

• Like 4

Didn't know you could buy that piece, normally the ITF is available for purchase from Beloptik or Maier Photonics cheaper than the whole unit. I assume it's also only applicable for fitting to a blue objective coloured PST and not the original gold type objective scope?

7 hours ago, Elp said:

Didn't know you could buy that piece, normally the ITF is available for purchase from Beloptik or Maier Photonics cheaper than the whole unit. I assume it's also only applicable for fitting to a blue objective coloured PST and not the original gold type objective scope?

Yes, mine's a 'blue' objective.

The Beloptik and Maier itf's work out expensive in the UK once shipped and taxed.

Nice to see a PST can be mended.
Some years ago I made one from two broken scopes.
Rusty objective and broken etalon.

Looking at the blue ITF. Is the same size & characteristic as used in Lunt LS scopes?
A cloudy blue filter is (or was) a known problem on LS scopes.
They have been fixed for free long after warranty, or for a filter only cost (£35 when I paid).

Maybe someone will be along who knows more about these.

Although expensive, at least with the complete tube you get a new 5mm blocking filter as well.

When the ITF in a PST fails, prime time for a mod to a larger aperture!       🙂         

• Like 1