Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shes back

Well sort of. Everything that could have gone wrong did. Cloud came in so managed 1 shot that i was pausing as cloud rolled over. unpausing in gaps It kept killing the histo.

Despite high pressure, cloud causing seeing disturbance, was another consequence. Sharcap also decided to get stuck on 17 FPS. I needed to do a system restore. which luckily cured the problem. But it was too late to carry on. For the life of me i couldn't figure the cause. I suspect a driver corrupted. It wasn't USB TRAFFIC.  Am i disappointed. Not really. Its early days. Long time members are probably aware its a bit of a tradition of mine to capture Saturn and Jupiter Low and early. Its usually quite bad and this is no exception. But for me it heralds the beginning of the outer planets season. So for that the ice is broken. hopefully this will be the worst capture i post this year

03_38_32_pipp_pipp_lapl8_ap6.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 24

4 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thar she blows! 💪

Lol i wish she blew a bit harder. So she wasn't playing cloud hide and seek 🤣 Hope to get a reasonable one by the time jupiter is up. That's not long trailing behind. 

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Lol i wish she blew a bit harder. So she wasn't playing cloud hide and seek 🤣 Hope to get a reasonable one by the time jupiter is up. That's not long trailing behind. 

Crystal clear here in the west. Seems the east end boys are getting some of the fluffy stuff 😎

Not too shabby for the worst. I'd forgotten how closed the rings are at the moment on their way to edge on in 2025 so great you posted that.

Really showing my age when I start to measure my life in Saturn's ring apparitions. 😲

29 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Happens a lot here actually. Maybe a coastal thing. 

Never known it clear and stable for such a long period here.

Hopefully your technical issues don't crop up when things get serious but I can still imagine the frustration at that time in the morning 🙂

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Long time members are probably aware its a bit of a tradition of mine to capture Saturn and Jupiter Low and early.

Are you also that bloke who writes in to the Times each year when he hears the first cuckoo?

I think we in the west are getting more than our fair share of clear skies in this spell, so that's a good result, this early in the year.

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Well sort off. Everything that could have gone wrong did. Cloud came in so managed 1 shot that i was pausing as cloud rolled over. unpausing in gaps It kept killing the histo.

Despite high pressure, cloud causing seeing disturbance, was another consequence. Sharcap also decided to get stuck on 17 FPS. I needed to do a system restore. which luckily cured the problem. But it was too late to carry on. For the life of me i couldn't figure the cause. I suspect a driver corrupted. It wasn't USB TRAFFIC.  Am i disappointed. Not really. Its early days. Long time members are probably aware its a bit of a tradition of mine to capture Saturn and Jupiter Low and early. Its usually quite bad and this is no exception. But for me it heralds the beginning of the outer planets season. So for that the ice is broken. hopefully this will be the worst capture i post this year

03_38_32_pipp_pipp_lapl8_ap6.png

An excellent reminder of things to come..can't wait !

Thanks...:smiley:

3 hours ago, skyhog said:

Not too shabby for the worst. I'd forgotten how closed the rings are at the moment on their way to edge on in 2025 so great you posted that.

Really showing my age when I start to measure my life in Saturn's ring apparitions. 😲

Much prefer them open. But still its interesting seeing the rings go through this change.

cheers

3 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Its a good start despite the conditions! I notice how the rings have closed in since last summer, seems that visually Cassini division will only be visible around the 'ears'.

Will be a challenge to get the Cassini at the front in UK skies when imaging. But larger optics and superb seeing will make it possible. But As you say visually it will generally appear on the tips, and going in. 

Great to see Saturn emerge. It heralds the beginning of a great planetary fest this year

Cheers Nik

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Never known it clear and stable for such a long period here.

Hopefully your technical issues don't crop up when things get serious but I can still imagine the frustration at that time in the morning 🙂

Already tested. And i have the tower as a backup. I believe it was lappy related. Not camera. As soon as i tested this morning. The Dell was fine. 10 mins and i will be back in action. We hope lol.

58 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Are you also that bloke who writes in to the Times each year when he hears the first cuckoo?

I think we in the west are getting more than our fair share of clear skies in this spell, so that's a good result, this early in the year.

I'm certainly cuckoo. But strictly astronomy related

Cheers