Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thanks to #PHIL53 for suggesting I check out this spectacular red giant carbon star in Lyra, not too far from the "double-double" Epsilon Lyrae. It's not visible to the naked eye and can vary in brightness from magnitude 5 to 11. Here is a prime focus shot:

ASTRONOMY-THETALYRAEPRIMEFOCUS6-02-23.thumb.jpg.9ec590e22ddffdd7008a88351b7fa68d.jpg

Cheers! Reggie

Edited by orion25
  • Like 11

20 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Nice! I'm definitely going to have a look at that, looks amazing.

It rivals R Leporis (Hind's) as my favorite carbon star. The red color really stands out!

• Like 2

Are you sure you don't mean T Lyrae?

Theta Lyrae while being very orange (K class) is not a carbon star and as far as I know does not vary in brightness. In fact at mag 4.5 it is easily visible from dark locations.

T Lyrae on the other hand is a very red carbon star indeed and dim, so not visible to the naked eye. Last time I looked at it last summer it was gorgeous.

Edited by Nik271
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• orion25 changed the title to T Lyrae
15 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Are you sure you don't mean T Lyrae?

Theta Lyrae while being very orange (K class) is not a carbon star and as far as I know does not vary in brightness. In fact at mag 4.5 it is easily visible from dark locations.

T Lyrae on the other hand is a very red carbon star indeed and dim, so not visible to the naked eye. Last time I looked at it last summer it was gorgeous.

Oh, my stars! Thanks, Nik271. T Lyrae is what I saw and imaged Friday night. Yes, it is gorgeous :)

Edited by orion25
  • Like 1