Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST Starguider eyepieces

I now have three of these, the 5, 8 and 12mm. Thought I'd post to let others know just how good a step up they are. They give a superb fov and are sharp all across the view. The build quality is excellent I highly recommend these to anyone reading this. 

• Like 4

They are extremely good EPs for the money. I have the whole range and intend to keep them despite preferring the XW range. 

I would say the 15mm and the 5mm are the best of the range but they are all good, even the 3.2mm works really nicely. 

• Like 1

They're great quality and very comfortable to use.  I've got the 12mm and 8mm.  I prefer my svbony 3-8mm for planetary as it gives better contrast, but the 8mm BST is better on DSO due to more comfortable eye relief.

I just got a Morpheus 17.5mm and I see no need to replace any of the focal lengths the Starguiders occupy.  If I'm being honest, I currently prefer the 60° view, but I'm still experimenting and figuring this stuff out.  I do like a nice flat field though and the BST's are great in both my F5 newts.

Everyone's favourite ruler wielding guru had a great review/comparison with Meade hd-60s here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/336709-meade-series-5000-hd-60-vs-astrotech-paradigm-bst-starguider/

• Like 1

I also upgraded to the Starguider range of eyepieces and found them a good upgrade. The 15mm, 12mm and the 8mm were the best IMO. After a short time though I wanted better correction at the edges. The Baader Morpheus range has now satisfied this need.

I had them all apart from the 3.2mm I didn't get on with the 5mm and sold that my 18mm was loose I shook it to find what part was loose and cracked the glass. 

My goto eyepiece is the 15mm it's a fantastic eyepiece and sky at night magazine did a comparison and it came out on top. 

• Like 1

I also have all of them (12 in total).  I have doubled down on 8mm through to 25mm for using with Binoviewer for which they are to me fantastic. 18mm is my favourite. I also have ES82 14mm & ES68 34mm. For Cyclops mode perhaps these are a little better, but come at x3 / x4 cost.  I once dropped BST Starguider 18mm onto my patio. It survived it didn't miss a beat.  I use mine on Meade LX90 ACF 8 inch. SCT's are kind to eyepieces and with the GOTO  and tracking wider field eyepieces aren't really necessary. I also have a set of Meade 4000 SP which are also very good and a couple of zooms that I don't really enjoy. Fixed length eps all the way for me.  I think I am all set and don't really need anymore. Just enjoy the view. Of course there may be better options out there but usually at a much greater cost. For some the greater cost may not be an issue and will be justified??  For most of us, BST  Starguiders may be the only upgrades we really need. 

Edited by stormioV
  • Like 1

I think the BST's are great ep's , at a great value for money price aswell, the only one missing from my set is the 3.2mm,  i have to say the urge to buy it , just to complete the set is always there, i think the 15mm is the one i use most . 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, mr_belowski said:

i got the 16mm and maybe it's a personal thing, but it's only 'ok' for me

There is no 16mm BST Starguider eyepiece as far as I know. There’s a 15mm which was the best of the bunch IMO. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 22:58, bosun21 said:

There is no 16mm BST Starguider eyepiece as far as I know. There’s a 15mm which was the best of the bunch IMO. 

ah, maybe it's the 18mm, it's languishing in the bottom of a drawer :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to use 3.2 mm yet. I usually get out observing from September through to March. (Not 1 massive session!). Thinking of maybe adding  baader q turret for high power Cyclops mode, I don't think I would get anything out of svbony 8-3 zoom in my SCT.?

1 hour ago, stormioV said:

I don't think I would get anything out of svbony 8-3 zoom in my SCT.

Probably minimal.  Your f/10 scope at 8mm yields a 0.8mm exit pupil.  I generally prefer to go no lower than 0.75mm.  The Svbony zoom at 5mm would yield 0.5mm which is about my limit for seeing through my eye floaters.  The other problem with your SCT is the very high resultant powers that would require very good seeing conditions (2000/8 = 250x, 2000/5 = 400x).