SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

It must be Summertime…

tomato

Its very annoying. The past few days has been pretty much the same, clear as it can be during the day, when it's dark enough to image cloud comes in on cue from the east. Repeat day after day for at least a week or two.

And yes, the moon is exactly where you don't want it to be.

Edited by Elp

In west Somerset it has been clear each night for about two weeks or more. Cant ever remember so many clear nights in a row, ever.  So infuriating it coincides with a moon high in the sky and little or no astro darkness.  Sods Law is doing its stuff impeccably. Why oh why can this not happen in autumn. Or winter. Or spring. Just not in summer !!!

• Like 1

The longer we go without rain the worse the sky becomes with haze and fine dust. Where I am the sky during the day is a milky blue and at night the combination of nautical dark, full moon and clag raises my normal mid Bortle 3 to more like 8-9.The next rain will leave my car looking like a barn find unless we have a torrential downpour.

• Like 2

Agree about the milky white skies and crug in the air. My skies are dark enough to image without filters, but I'm constantly shooting through a fog of haze and pollution- always. And my car looks like it has rained sand.  And we have to breathe all that in. Oh for the crystal skies of the Sahara !

5 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

In west Somerset it has been clear each night for about two weeks or more. Cant ever remember so many clear nights in a row, ever.  So infuriating it coincides with a moon high in the sky and little or no astro darkness.  Sods Law is doing its stuff impeccably. Why oh why can this not happen in autumn. Or winter. Or spring. Just not in summer !!!

You have this period of good weather because the Azores anticyclone is in the British Isles, bad weather arrives here in Italy when this happens; in fact, it has been raining here for a month and usually it is the opposite: in May it rains little, in June the summer drought begins to make itself felt. With the telescope I haven't done anything anymore but I have to say that last year in this period there was an average of 35 C/95 F while this year we are on 25 C/77 F and it is MUCH better; there is time for astronomical observations!

Edited by Gonariu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Q said:

I wish we had skies like that here in Ohio.  It is very hazy right now.  

Northern Illinois skies are milky white and not from light pollution.  With the annual burning of the western US and Canada, the mosquitoes that are coming soon, and the short nights, I'm thinking maybe summer is best spent in a swimming pool with a Cerveza Sol.  🤔

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

Just now, jjohnson3803 said:

Northern Illinois skies are milky white and not from light pollution.  With the annual burning of the western US and Canada, and the mosquitoes that are coming soon, and the short nights, I'm thinking maybe summer is best spent in a swimming pool with a Cerveza Sol.  🤔

We are definitely getting the smoke here as well.  It can stop any time now. 

6 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

In west Somerset it has been clear each night for about two weeks or more. Cant ever remember so many clear nights in a row, ever.  So infuriating it coincides with a moon high in the sky and little or no astro darkness.

That's why double stars were invented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

We are definitely getting the smoke here as well.  It can stop any time now. 

Not quite on the U.S. scale but, in my village, the first hint of a nice day usually prompts someone nearby to set fire to something.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

In west Somerset it has been clear each night for about two weeks or more.

It looks like we might be at the end of the spell:

image.thumb.png.074de0f2b957db313d758ef8d3ec5079.png

... although CO has occasionally been wrong before now