Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does anyone know of a thread or fix for the power supply for this mount, the connection has started to droop so I have had to put a elastic band under it to keep it in place. Ideally I would like to replace with a screw type connection. 

20123.jpg

My view on these DC connectors is they are unsuitable for the application.
That being hundreds of insertions and often sideways forces on the cable.
But if they get through warranty, especially with a lot of sales to people who don't make a lot of use of the kit.......

A simple fix (depending on your skills and tools) is to solder wires from the PCB to an inline socket, dangling a few centimetres away from the box.

However, in astro kit generally, the socket is often soldered to a PCB. Repeated use and sideways forces can fracture the soldered joint. Just reflow it - until next time.
If reflowing, try to use 'proper' tin/lead solder. not the lead free stuff that needs a higher temperature and doesn't flow so easily.

Are you certain the (low cost) cable running into the plug isn't damaged.
With use you can get fractured strands in the cable, it the outer plastic sheath intact.
A careful look and feel will often identify this.
A fix is to buy a DC plug and solder it on yourself.

HTH, David.

I have bought a lynx astro cable so no cheap cables. 

I have watched a video about replacing the connector like for like but it is to much for my skills. 

I have a proper soldering station so I can turn the temperature down but I don't think I could do it. 

Maybe I could send it to someone with far more skills than me. 

I know people have done it on a HEQ5 replaced with a screw on connector. 

Something like this. 

I have to say that I have not had connection issues with the power to my EQ5 Synscan.

On the other hand, I have had trouble with the power inlet to each of my three Celestron Nexstar mounts, with jiggling of the plug breaking the connection and causing a reset.  In these cases, routing the cable through a cable tie etc alleviated the problem.

I use a right angle connection to eliminate the stress and leave the short cable in the control box permanently. I simply plug the other end of the cable(also right angle) into the Celestron LT power pack on my tripod leg. This eliminates all the stress on both.

D8A4BE20-6D44-4A60-9D73-F79239EA40F1.thumb.jpeg.135c41a1cf12dd8f1849ef1cf8fbf1f4.jpegE5073BF2-1909-47EC-ABAD-15E130FEC601.thumb.jpeg.da81a1c39def6a627980398d8ceacc3f.jpeg

Edited by bosun21
Add photos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

I use a right angle connection to eliminate the stress and leave the short cable in the control box permanently. I simply plug the other end of the cable(also right angle) into the Celestron LT power pack on my tripod leg. This eliminates all the stress on both.

D8A4BE20-6D44-4A60-9D73-F79239EA40F1.thumb.jpeg.135c41a1cf12dd8f1849ef1cf8fbf1f4.jpegE5073BF2-1909-47EC-ABAD-15E130FEC601.thumb.jpeg.da81a1c39def6a627980398d8ceacc3f.jpeg

I wish lynx astro did one of these perhaps I could get I right hand fitment that would help. 

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I wish lynx astro did one of these perhaps I could get I right hand fitment that would help. 

I bought mine from Dew Control UK. They are good quality and if not in stock they can make them to your desired length and connections. I found that the Lynx cables are too heavy and put undue stress on the connection. I never need to remove mine from the EQ5 control box.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I bought mine from Dew Control UK. They are good quality and if not in stock they can make them to your desired length and connections. I found that the Lynx cables are too heavy and put undue stress on the connection. I never need to remove mine from the EQ5 control box.

Been on there site no power cables like yours or any to fit the EQ5

6 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Been on there site no power cables like yours or any to fit the EQ5

You didn’t look hard enough. Just select right angle connections and your desired length.👇I can’t get the link to work.

1FC63D7A-B0F3-4A25-BEB3-DDCF5936B3B5.png.1f24f7660fb495d031eb6c211a5072a3.png10BC1DA7-15FA-4DA9-ACFD-A0D8524B106D.png.05de316cf460413215aec94e1f000550.pngD6DB752D-0DCA-49FA-A8ED-8B346CE131CD.png.0fe8cc9cac5b1f82fbea84b87939cc83.png

It looks like the right angle is only on one end now. If you place it in your EQ5 control box it will still remove the stress on the connection. The straight end can go in your power source. You could also send them an email asking for the right angle on both sides. They can only say no.

• Thanks 1

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

I have one of these so I would need it splitting into two ring connectors I dont like the cigarette connection I will give them a ring and see what they say thanks. 

That power supply you have does that power your EQ5 all session I have often thought of getting one of those, I used to have one of these but it was a cheap Chinese thing and the power fluctuated meaning the mount was not accurate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115723611816?hash=item1af1aa2ea8:g:LLEAAOSwz-9gYfo9&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4PNn7MRFyd3BMceX2xE5xvzYE09u2NmpHuDHSfN%2BM9qfH7oqb%2FTKEjdt5nluSPSmxQUlP%2FvsGI%2FEqZuDtVMw%2F5IzdhlfGmYlkNNyxAP72FAgg%2BfDDrBoRJM6pC2phiT3ObsdqSi9RuqsildOA4rCEv8nGovguu76zb3L8%2Bo188KFwXlLc4e7T83sYxzRK5BM%2Fbsmc%2B1rdDtErNZMxkYw74Y1AI9pLSL6VCUfJEb1Il%2B4l2gk7gAfvroexpegrEPES5Vz11JdWGyac74EdM%2BHrT6MTt4EChDQRU6tqS6nKIdF|tkp%3ABk9SR7iU54eQYg

The 10amp model

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

The Celestron LT keeps a constant voltage throughout its discharge that’s why I use it for the mount. It was still showing over half charge after a 5 hour session. I only use it to power the mount and use the Dynamo power pack from FLO for my dew heaters.

• Thanks 1