Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weatherproofing SQM and Cloud Detector

kbrown

A while back I made a DIY SQM meter and a Cloud Detector using a TSL237 light sensor and a Melexis MLX90614 IR temperature sensor. I had this riding on my telescope pointing the same part of the sky I was imaging and I didn't put anything in front of the sensors since I was only going to use it when the weather was good enough for imaging. However now I'm building an All-Sky Camera and have been thinking of putting the SQM / Cloud Detector in the same enclosure with it as a permanent installation. This presents a problem though. While the TSL237 sensor probably could survive the elements as is, I don't think the MLX90614 is hermetically sealed. I've read a few forum posts and articles of people trying to find something suitable to put in front of it without affecting its performance, but so far I haven't found anything that would work okay. The only thing I can think of is a mechanical cover I could open and close perhaps with a servo to protect the sensors when the weather is not good enough. Any other ideas?

Edited by kbrown

I recently got a definitive answer regarding the MLX (which I'm planning to use myself). The standard 'A' package TO-39 varient is sealed to IP65 so it should be fine exposed to general weather. Just make sure you seal the body of the can to your housing and don't jet-wash it.

• Like 1