Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200PDS vs 190MN

Looking to use one of the above with my 183MM. Any advantages using the 190MN compared to the 200PDS ? Both give me the same FOV, would need to buy the coma corrector for the 250. I have owned the 130PDS before.

Thanks.

Edited by SAW

• SAW changed the title to 200PDS vs 190MN
2 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

No corrector required for MN, though both need a decent focuser I know someone on the east midlands forum that just upgraded the focuser body (AliExpress I think )only on his and turned out a decent focuser good stars 

I'll be using my ZWO EAF on it.

Although I have not owned one, I believe the MN190 is slightly more complicated to collimate. Given the extra glass I assume it is also heavier which might be a consideration depending on your mount.

• Like 1

I have an ASI183MM-Pro and use it on my Meade 6" F/5 Schmidt-Newton. Slightly different beast from the 190MN, but shares one important characteristic: no diffraction spikes. Very pleased with how this OTA performs with this camera. This one below is one with the 183MC (non-cooled)

M51-20200321-3.thumb.jpg.668edef89efc54ad14eb28a8f5622e5e.jpg

• Like 2

I currently use an Explore Scientific MN152 which I am really pleased with. I have considered going for more apperature with the 200pds and Quattro being the two front runners. I dont have any problems with dew on the MN152, I use a heater on the corrector up front and the primary doesn't require anything. Collimating the secondary requires removing the primary mirror, which isn't great but it does give opportunity to blow off the mirror.

I use a TS concentric eyepiece to centre the secondary then a Hotech laser to do the primary. I 'm not sure if this is perculiar to mak-newts but when using the laser you need to watch the reflection move across the white face as the crosshairs move into the centre hole, the cross hairs maybe centred but you would need to make sure that the reflection is also centred which may mean that the crosshairs are not dead centre in the hole of the laser. I hope that makes sense, the reflection will when you see it.

I would go for the Quattro. The difference in price is almost as much as flocking but it has baffles built in, and the primary wont be getting covered in small pieces of dust from the felt.

Dont't forget to add the price of a coma corrector to the newt!

• Like 1