SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Monk Premier 6x-12x24 binoculars???

Chaz2b

Today I was elated to be given a pair of Monk Premier binos, but on Googling them cannot find any information about them.

Has anyone had any experience with these? If so what were your views of them?

I'll post a pic of them when I get home later.

Chaz

IMG_6661.jpeg

IMG_6660.jpeg

IMG_6659.jpeg

IMG_6658.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
Added pics
  • Like 1

Are these zoom (variable magnification) binoculars?  Zoom binoculars should be avoided.  Single zoom eyepieces, often used in astro scopes, have their drawbacks, and in binoculars there is the added problem of keeping the zoom eyepieces to track exactly in magnification and alignment.   There may be zoom binoculars that work properly and reliably but they will be expensive premium brands.

Also 24mm seems rather small.  I see that your signature contains several pairs of decent binoculars so I wonder why you are excited about the Monk Premier. 🙂

Monk are not a household name in binoculars but I'm sure I've heard that they are of decent quality.  The 2x zoom factor is on the sensible side of zoom ratios so the performance should be acceptable, particularly for daytime use.  Most likely still have the restricted FOV characteristics of zooms.    🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Also 24mm seems rather small.  I see that your signature contains several pairs of decent binoculars so I wonder why you are excited about the Monk Premier. 🙂

I’m always elated when I’m given a pair of Japanese optics🤩. They’re in very good condition and are only on par with my Gosky pair. 
I will be using them for birding, but seems a rare pair of binos so will add to my collection, I have a few others of which I haven't mentioned.

Well very rare indeed, I cannot even find any that remotely looks like these, I also believe that Monk ceased trading in 2017, hmmm intriguing.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1