Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is my ASIAIR Plus ready for the trash?

I sincerely doubt anyone can answer this (assuming my ASIAIR Plus is defective), but, I'm hoping I'm wrong.

The problem that I now see seems to be with the ASIAIR Plus itself. Last night after losing the Wifi connection (I'm using direct Ethernet connection along with house A/C current), I tried to reboot everything (i.e., turned everything off, even the iPad) when I turned on the ASIAIR unit I would only get the first beep, not the second (which allows you to enter the app).
This was the case time after time…I couldn’t get the second beep. At one point I disconnected everything and the unit did turn on. I was able to reset the firmware, but when I tried to use the app, I couldn’t switch out of Preview mode. From that point on for about (at least) 25 more attempts (even with a 'naked' unit, i.e., nothing connect to it) I could never get that second beep and could therefore never connect to the app.

I tried disconnecting everything from the unit and that didn’t help. I just kept turning it on and off. Each time one beep no connection. I tried direct Ethernet connection and I tried the ASIAIR’s Wifi, no luck. I’m exhausted. How do I know if I have a defective unit. I cannot see any other reason but to think about purchasing a new unit. Am I wrong. Please help.
In summation:

1. I did disconnect all devices from the ASIAIR unit. This left just the naked AIR. When turning on the AIR I heard the first beep, but not the second.
  2. The (I think it was 2 time out of 25) I did get booted up (i.e., got that second beep) things froze using the app (although I did manage to do a firmware update)
  3. I'm using an Ethernet cable from my router to the unit.
  4. I'm using house A/C current, which I've been using for the past year without a problem (I don't have a battery)
  5. I'm using a 5 amp power converter
  6. Referring to #1 above, since the "naked ASIAIR" wouldn't boot up, I guess it's not a cable issue.
  7. I tried a different Ethernet cable also the unit's Wifi

I do need to try direct power to the unit (although I did try this recently without any positive results). I'm getting the power through the AM5 directly.
Is this a defective unit???
Thank you for any help/suggestions
Joe

Edited by Cornelius Varley
background colour to text removed

I would also ask the question on the ASiAir facebook page - lots of useful help there, somebody may have come across this. My only suggestion would be to re image the SD Card (basically install new OS ) and confirm your power supply is good. 

Jim 

P.S.  

I've discovered that the ASIAIR does not beep twice. It beeps once and the EAF is the other beep. 

I've had some limited success this afternoon starting the ASIAIR with the EAF unplugged, then plugging it in when I get into the app. (this doesn't explain the disconnect(s) last night when I was, in fact, in the app, but I'll try again tonight and see what else I find out.

Joe

Edited by Cornelius Varley
Background colour removed

I was initially confused with the doubled beep too which you've explained.

Your issue could be the app, I tried it and was blighted with various random issues after using units without issue for more than two years. Installed an older app version and no issues since other than having to start the app a few times (I usually use two airs at once which causes issues).

29 minutes ago, Elp said:

Can't be done on the plus or mini as it's loaded on the internal emmc memory.

Missed that, I think you said you had flashed it to the latest OS. I'm at a lost as to what else to suggest.

Jim 

The firmware can be rolled back to factory within the information menu when connected to the air and within the app. For the unit to stay on the older firmware you do have to next connect to it again via an older app version, otherwise the app will force you to update the firmware on the unit again.