Narrowband

Who Needs help Pitching At SGL4

Greg

Several people coming to SGL4 have mentioned that it's their first time camping or even their first time at a starparty...

So..

If you need help pitching your tent or just some general help setting up then post in here and we'll find someone to help you...

Need help aligning or just want to chat about Astronomy in general then make yourself known

Don't worry about feeling daft asking for help we want to make sure you enjoy yourselves whatever the weather and getting a tent up quickly in bad weather is a must..(Just ask anyone at the Welsh starparty, it was all hands to the pumps in that weather.)

And remember if you're coming on your own make your way over to the SGL hospitality tent for a chat and a cuppa...All the Admin, Global Mods and Mods will be there and wearing name badges generally milling around, just ask for help or advice, that's what we are there for.

Greg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thinking Greg :)

Not just tent pitching help either, as Lulu will be towing her Dad's caravan for the first time, and may well need some help in 'setting up'. Especially if it needs a bit manual effort to site it.

Dave

Thanks for that Greg.

It's my first star party, and I'm really looking forward to it. Hope to learn a lot.

Couple of questions:

I've got a choice of tents - small 3 man dome, or large 8 man tunnel. Tunnel will be more comfortable, and, dread the thought, if the weather is poor....

However, I can't pitch it on my own. It needs two people. What would you recommend? Advantage of a big tent is that I can store the scopes in there.

I've got a 3 to 4 hour journey before I arrive. Probably be there around 9pm. Don't want to arrive in the dark, lights blazing, and upset everyone. What's the etiquette?

Ok...

I'd go for the bigger tent and we'll help you pitch it!!

I have several tents and have used all three at starparty's, use the biggest you can get a way with!!!

I'll PM you my mobile number, ring me when you get to the entrance to the site and one of us will guide you in with a red torch...Or at least we will all have warning that you'll be arriving!

HTH

Greg

I've got a 3 to 4 hour journey before I arrive. Probably be there around 9pm. Don't want to arrive in the dark, lights blazing, and upset everyone. What's the etiquette?

Just thinking that if you are running late and you might be getting there after about 9.30 and you don't have any way of contacting any of us prior to your arrival, it may be pertinent to park up by reception and walk over to the rally field and grab someone to guide you in.

Tony..

Just thinking that if you are running late and you might be getting there after about 9.30 and you don't have any way of contacting any of us prior to your arrival, it may be pertinent to park up by reception and walk over to the rally field and grab someone to guide you in.

No probs. :)

Jean and I would appreciate a hand guys. We can manage to put up the moonlander on our own, but it would be so much easier with people who are tall enough to hold the central bit of the tent up while we put the dome poles through (we're both only 5 foot tall, and Mike can't get there until Friday night). We thought having a tent you could stand up in was a really good idea, until we had to stand on tip toes to reach the roof to set up :).

We should be there mid/late afternoon on Thursday ie daylight!

Thanks

Helen

You are probably one of the early arrivals then Helen.

If I don't see you arrive, just give me a shout.

My caravan will be on Pitch 28, which is right alongside the entrance to the rally field.

(A white Swift Challenger, with a silver grey 4x4 parked at the side of it)

Dave

I can come over anytime on Thursday and will be available virtually all day on Friday if anyone needs a helping hand. As you local 'tourist guide' if you have forgotten anything and need a supermarket etc just ask.

Mark

Thant's Nice to know Mark.

(dont forget your label though)

Thanks

Ed Sampson

Good thinking Greg :)

Not just tent pitching help either, as Lulu will be towing her Dad's caravan for the first time, and may well need some help in 'setting up'. Especially if it needs a bit manual effort to site it.

Dave

Thanks Dave - and Greg - that is really kind.

My dad will actually be towing the caravan down on that occasion and setting it up for me, because we'll be setting out at different times and from different places. I'll be driving down separately in my motor.

In fact, lord knows when I'll get a chance to try out towing his van...my diary is packed. Grrrrr.

However, please do come over and say hello to him - or me - because he might still appreciate the help. He's called John Hancock. He doesn't call me Lulu, though - I'm definitely Lou to him. I don't know who will arrive first - him or me. If it's me, than I'll be standing around like a lemon, so please say hello!

Everybody certainly sounds like a helpful bunch.

And Helen - make yourself known! That focuser knob works a treat, so I need to reimburse you!:)

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Archived