Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax asahi binoculars for stargazing.

Chaz2b

I’m looking for a real descent quality, sharp! Pin point sharp! Pair of Pentax asahi binoculars.  I wouldn’t know what the quality is other than my 10x 50. I have a pair of Zeiss binos which are better but I want better still.

If you are a Pentax asahi owner and understand what I’m looking for, which pair? Old or new? I take it that the Pentax team knew what quality meant in older sets so maybe a gem out there?

Please don’t mention other brands, just Pentax thank you.

Chaz

My experience of vintage Pentax bins isn’t that great- in the 70s they used a weird gold metallic coating on the eyepieces to increase contrast (i think)  but it oxidises and wipes off if you try to clean it. Mechanically they were nothing special either. Haven’t tried every variant though.  I know you said don’t mention others but Nikon and Fujinon vintage bins are nicer I think 

Mark

What I read a few years back, if you ask a Japanese which is better, Takahashi or Pentax, they’d said Pentax.

It would seem that only westerners appreciate Taks, I know I’m one, but I want to know why they think Pentax is better, well seeing is believing is it not.

chaz

• Like 1

Pentax made a range of refractors which are very collectible now and supposed to be excellent. I believe Canon make the optics for Takahashi? Shame Canon don’t make telescopes but they focus on more mainstream consumer/professional markets.

Mark