Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hiding in plain sight - reworked

wimvb

Andromeda IV must be the most imaged but at the same time least seen galaxy out there. It is right next to the Andromeda galaxy, but being a dwarf, and being very faint, it is rarely noticed. Here it gets centre stage, flanked by another dwarf galaxy (but this one with its own Messier number), and a star cluster.

I believe it was an image or video by Adam Block that brought this dwarf galaxy to my attention. You would think that this galaxy is part of the Andromeda system, but in fact, the dwarf is about 20 million light years distant, well beyond, and not at all tied to M31. So, it shouldn't even have an "And" number. The galaxy was discovered by Sydney van den Bergh in 1972.

Data for this image was collected back in January, and consists of 6 x 5 minutes for G and B, and 11 x 5 minutes for R, as well as 21 x 3 minutes L, a total of about 3 hours of integration time.

Gear: SW 190MN telescope and ZWO ASI294MM camera

M31-M32-AndIV-ngc206_annotated230528_v2.thumb.jpg.49c1d249d8af18ef775906b16629882b.jpg

An inverted L version showing the very faint dwarf.

AndIV_inverted_L.thumb.jpg.ef89544125911f2cfa2298dbc3e599b0.jpg

Edited by wimvb
replaced original image with brighter version
  • Like 12

• wimvb changed the title to Hiding in plain sight - reworked
8 minutes ago, symmetal said:

That's a real faint fuzzy. 😁

Alan

It really is. Here's a slightly enhanced version. I want to avoid at all cost "painting" in the structure, or use elaborate masks to selectively lighten areas. In this version, I used a simple mask to protect the stars and M31, and applied Multiscale processing to enhance the galaxy

M31-M32-AndIV-ngc206_annotated230528.thumb.jpg.88c718693b1e313768f0474926dd96a1.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

No way, I can't see it! I need to wait for better seeing conditions 🤣

You need averted vision ( 🙃 😉 ) or a computer screen to see it. Handheld devices just have too little dynamic range. A dwarf galaxy 20 Mly distant and almost eclipsed by a star, is faint by any measure.

On my computer screen it's clearly visible, but on my Samsung Galaxy Tab, I can only just about see it because I know it's there. I'll post an inverted luminance image.

Edited by wimvb

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great post! I have quite a bit of data on Andromeda so I will go looking for it as soon as this run of UK clear nights is over.

Thanks. I'm sure you'll find it. @gorann found it in his data.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

That is a really nice picture. I love it when people go after the really obscure and find them.

Thanks, DP. Glad you like it. I prefer to photograph unusual and sometimes obscure targets.