SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The stars of Aristillus and more

Thanks to @paulastro for the heads up on this one. I thought it might be best earlier on, but as it turned out, it got better as the evening went on.

I had some excellent views. The seeing was a bit variable but overall quite decent. I caught the Alpine Rille, and Hyginus Rille showed plenty of detail. The Treisnecker Rilles were probably the best I’ve seen them, showing their full extent in terms of length, and also the various branches off. I even caught them with a smartphone shot which I’ve not done very well at before.

I enjoyed the crater Autolycus, which has a tiny crater on the rim, and tonight this was casting a matching shadow on the crater floor, like one black and one white ear 👂😊

0BE6E821-9168-47A1-A790-B65436FF5E07.jpeg

284053C7-75C4-4397-9372-7EB9230E8E68.jpeg

FF081095-E688-4FC8-AB95-EF6783BCC675.jpeg

3BAD2C51-7362-4DF5-BDFE-F5D627C5B098.jpeg

1845847D-1606-4785-A20B-B8DFC8B17B2B.jpeg

• Like 10

Beautiful Stu! I just came inside after observing the exact same features myself - good to have some images that represent what I saw:thumbright: Seeing was a little wobbly here, however, the weather was very calm so I spent about an hour outside.

Victor

• Like 2

Great images. I was looking around there last night. Tried to take some phone shots but failed miserably! There's a small crater next to Archimedes but it's not labelled on my moon map. At one point the rim shone really brightly surrounded   by black. Looked like an annular eclipse. You can see it on a couple of your pics.

8 minutes ago, bish said:

There's a small crater next to Archimedes but it's not labelled on my moon map. At one point the rim shone really brightly surrounded   by black. Looked like an annular eclipse. You can see it on a couple of your pics.

It's Bancroft (formerly Archimedes A) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bancroft_(crater)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bish said:

Great images. I was looking around there last night. Tried to take some phone shots but failed miserably! There's a small crater next to Archimedes but it's not labelled on my moon map. At one point the rim shone really brightly surrounded   by black. Looked like an annular eclipse. You can see it on a couple of your pics.

This one?

IMG_7792.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Those are stunning pics @Stu. By far the best lunar smartphone pics I have ever seen. What scope were you using?

Ta,

Malcolm 

Thank you Malcolm. It was with this bad boy, FS-128 with 5mm XW. Some of my best views too.

IMG_7589.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Thank you Malcolm. It was with this bad boy, FS-128 with 5mm XW. Some of my best views too.

IMG_7589.jpeg

My partner caught me salivating with envy at that scope and asked me what I was smiling at. I showed her the picture, she replied "wow that's a big boy, but I really like the garden". I'm afraid I only had eyes for the scope 🙂

Malcolm 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MalcolmM said:

My partner caught me salivating with envy at that scope and asked me what I was smiling at. I showed her the picture, she replied "wow that's a big boy, but I really like the garden". I'm afraid I only had eyes for the scope 🙂

Malcolm 

Both are lovely, although the scope requires a lot less mowing than the lawn, so is my favourite for that reason! At it again right now, having taken  multiple bags of smelly rotting grass to the tip this morning 😱🤢🤣

• Haha 2

On 28/05/2023 at 09:24, bish said:

IMG_4591.jpeg

• Like 1