Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kstars crashing (Arch and Ubuntu) and no offset on RisingCam indi driver with new updates :(

pipnina

Kstars generally worked quite well when I picked it up early last year, and there's been a few cool features since. But when they started adding the optical train system (as good as it could be for multi-scope control) it started getting very dodgy.

On my laptop a while back the optical trains would get a mind of their own. Deciding that my scope in fact did not have a reducer and refusing to let me save changes to 0.8x, crashing during autofocus capture, and now trying to even edit the optical trains that I MUST use on current kstars versions crashes the program, making it impossible to use at all.

This happens on my EndeavourOS (Arch) computer, as well as my Ubuntu 20.04 laptop and my Lenovo ThinkCentre with Ubuntu MATE 22.04. I get my Kstars and indi from the following commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

And on Endeavour I used just "yay -S kstars"

Meanwhile the indi driver seems to have updated for my RisingCam 571 and now Kstars and Indi cannot control the offset used, it is always 0 resulting in very suboptimal results in narrowband images (a lot of 0 ADU pixels in 2 minute Ha subs last night for the brief time I had it working, the Lenovo had Kstars working very briefly...)

Is this a known issue with the most recent branches, should I be seeking to go back to the previous version packaged with ubuntu 22.04? And is there any way at all to solve this Touptek driver issue, because of all the problems I have had to deal with I was not expecting this one 😕

Many thanks to anyone who can help

One option might be to avoid kstars-bleeding which is always the cutting edge version. I have only had experience of the so-called ‘stable’ versions, which occasionally still have issues, but may work for you. 

13 minutes ago, Avocette said:

One option might be to avoid kstars-bleeding which is always the cutting edge version. I have only had experience of the so-called ‘stable’ versions, which occasionally still have issues, but may work for you. 

The thing is, these kstars-bleeding packages give me 3.6.4 which reports itself as a stable release in the about tab. 😕

18 hours ago, Avocette said:

I got an email from the kstars bugtracker system as I added to another person's report on this bug, a developer has marked it as fixed in git, and the fix should be released in 3.6.5 which is great!