SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recently i got a telescope since i have been into astroamny for a few years now but never looked through one. So last night i set it up and i found a galaxy cluster and i pointed it at the moon ect. But i wanted to do something during the day. First thing that came to mind was the sun. But of course i need solar filters. My telescope is a celestron but i was very cautous on solar filters since if i get the wrong on or set it up wrong then ima be blind for life after pointing it at the sun. So i need advice for setting up the solar filters and what ones to get ect. Any help would be helpfull.

Make sure your telescope has no plastic parts like the focuser etc if using a Herschel wedge otherwise they will melt from the heat. If using Baader solar film make sure there’s no breaks or holes in it.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Ridiculous statement .... with a correctly fitted suitable filter such as Baader Astrosolar Safety film there is NO danger of melting anything on your telescope .

What if you are using a Herschel wedge? I have always been told no plastic focusers etc. Is this wrong?

1 minute ago, bosun21 said:

What if you are using a Herschel wedge? I have always been told no plastic focusers etc. Is this wrong?

Perhaps it might have been useful if you had specified that point in your post , I was clearly referring to Baader film filters.

11 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Perhaps it might have been useful if you had specified that point in your post , I was clearly referring to Baader film filters.

I’ve now edited it to reflect this point.