Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NaN again

Ags

I have been trying to get a good picture of the NaN for a few years. Now that I have a good camera - ASI485MC, a good scope - Askar FMA135, a good filter - ZWO Duo Band - a good laptop (one that has hours of battery life), a good mount (an AZGTI that doesn't randomly slew away randomly every half hour), and good software (Siril and Gimp)... I feel that surely there can be no more excuses. It's time to put up or give up. This is 1.4 hours from last night, just a first quick process to see if there is anything viable. I am pretty pleased with this, but I'll need to shoot more subs tonight if it stays clear.

image.thumb.png.b48f4f235c6e5c91dd0d309aa659ec5c.png

• Like 7

Here is the latest state after adding another 400 subs to the stack. Also processed differently, mostly in Gimp with a little help from Siril. Stacked in DSS.

I'm up to 137 minutes integration time, which is the longest I have ever spent on a target. Annoyingly I have cleaned up the noise in the noisy parts of the first image, but the extra time has revealed new noise areas! Hopefully I can add 2 more hours at least to this image, I am happy with what I am seeing so far. That will be about 2000 subs, I hope my hard drive doesn't burst!

Bottom right is a bad corner, but that is because clouds rolled in last night and field rotation had not covered that area yet.

nanpostgimp4downsize.jpg

Edited by Ags

By the way, I want a proper Duo Band Filter with a narrow OIII passband. It only took me a couple of nights with the ZWO to start dreaming of the next upgrade 🤪

Cracking images!  What a difference the extra data made.

I recently got a 7nm Duoband filter from SVBONY and I think they are pretty good.  I like the subtle change in colour it gives.  I also found it worked in a pinch for visual for OIII only so really I got two filters for the price of one.

I did have a slight panic when I saw NaN.  The software I use at work uses that as a code for no data and usually when that starts appearing you've got problems lol.  For a minute I thought it was going to be a sad post but delighted to see you got some great results!

• Like 1