SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51 First (Successful!) Go

imakebeer

I tried imaging M51 back in April but got distracted during setup and forgot to check the focus so I ended up with several hours with of nearly-in-focus-but-definitely-out-of-focus data! 😭😭😭

I was discussing in another thread with @vlaiv and @ONIKKINEN about astronomical twilight etc. Although it's late in the season I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make amends with M51. If nothing else it's more data to practice with.

I actually managed 2 nights, 20th & 22nd May. This is just from 22nd - I'm still working on how to combine the two and get something I'm happy with and that's better than just this one alone.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome - I really haven't done much besides basic processing in Siril and very modest curve stretching in GIMP. Also I've tried to respect the limited data I have and not push the stretching too far. I have another image where I didn't push the stars quite so much, but I think I prefer this one - hopefully I haven't overcooked them!

SW150PDS + Canon 450D (modified)
~180 x 60s lights @ ISO 400
+10 each darks, biases & flats

M51_02_2023_05_22.thumb.jpg.369a85963909728d90c8801cc12d7a3d.jpg

• Like 4