Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader 7.5nm v 10nm

bosun21

Is there any noticeable difference between these two filters? Mainly for visual with the odd capture here and there. I am just about to place an order and just wanted to know whether the upgrade to the 7.5nm is worth it. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Is there any noticeable difference between these two filters? Mainly for visual with the odd capture here and there. I am just about to place an order and just wanted to know whether the upgrade to the 7.5nm is worth it. Thanks.

Hasn’t the 7.5nm replaced the 10nm? From what I’ve seen, there is a slight improvement with the 7.5nm so would go with that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hasn’t the 7.5nm replaced the 10nm? From what I’ve seen, there is a slight improvement with the 7.5nm so would go with that.

Yes I believe it has however they are still available with a few suppliers. I'll just go for the 7.5nm from FLO. Is it correct that the 10nm has to be dual stacked? I have read that the 7.5nm eliminates this requirement.

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Yes I believe it has however they are still available with a few suppliers. I'll just go for the 7.5nm from FLO. Is it correct that the 10nm has to be dual stacked? I have read that the 7.5nm eliminates this requirement.

No - the 10nm doesn’t have to be double stacked. If you don’t have the 10nm, then definitely go for the 7.5nm, although you’re most likely to see a difference between the two if you have an achromat refractor - the jury’s still out on whether the new filter provides a benefit on apo/semi apo fracs (though I hope it does - watching out for Stu’s reports over the next few months).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

No, you don’t have to double stack the 10nm. I suppose you can, but I’ve been using a single one for years quite successfully. Perhaps 2x10nm gives a similar performance to a 7.5, I don’t know.