SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More one shot wonders

Both Wednesday and Thursday seeing disturbed but wanting to be  better this low. Tonight cloud around capturing between. 7.3 Classical cassegrain

scope pics showing the legendary venus slayer tree

21_29_30 cassegrain.png g.png

better.png use.png 90.png B.png

DSC01230.JPG

DSC01235.JPG

DSC01232.JPG

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Great detail captured Neil.  Can I ask how these filters fair while imaging Venus during the day?

Mark

Hi Mark i had some experience using the filter in the morning as Venus was rising. What i found was as the sun rose above the horizon. The extra heat started thermals and poor seeing.

Also increasing light levels of the sun tended to wash out contrast.

I cant say if a cool scope getting warmed by the rising sun would be the same as setting up for daytime imaging ?

But personally i think results may vary. And it might be better with the sun just rising or just setting. So my advice is rather a bit of guess work having never imaged with the sun too high in the sky. Sorry i cant be more definitive  As for filters Kon is getting good results with a somewhat cheaper filter. Worth looking at perhaps.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Mark i had some experience using the filter in the morning as Venus was rising. What i found was as the sun rose above the horizon. The extra heat started thermals and poor seeing.

Also increasing light levels of the sun tended to wash out contrast.

I cant say if a cool scope getting warmed by the rising sun would be the same as setting up for daytime imaging ?

But personally i think results may vary. And it might be better with the sun just rising or just setting. So my advice is rather a bit of guess work having never imaged with the sun too high in the sky. Sorry i cant be more definitive  As for filters Kon is getting good results with a somewhat cheaper filter. Worth looking at perhaps.

@Astroscot2Mark I am imaging using a cheap set of filters from Astromania. I wrote a review here

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/409518-astromania-filters-for-planetary-imaging-review/#comment-4377733

I am also imaging at bright daylight and I have not noticed any issues. See my posts on UV Venus on what I am getting. I think I am pulling similar structure to Neil and Stuart @Space Cowboy who are usually imaging a bit later than me.

• Like 1

Hello Neil, Kostas.

Thanks for the reply. I've been following your Venus images with interest and was considering  UV filter. My evening and morning view of Venus is quite limited from the my observatory so wondered about imaging in daylight. Kostas do you get ant ghosting with your filter?

38 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Hello Neil, Kostas.

Thanks for the reply. I've been following your Venus images with interest and was considering  UV filter. My evening and morning view of Venus is quite limited from the my observatory so wondered about imaging in daylight. Kostas do you get ant ghosting with your filter?

Ghosting only with my colour camera, asi462mc, but with the mono none at all, asi462mm. I capture Venus when it's at 53degrees or so.