Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Geoptik Nadira Chair - Improvement

cloudsweeper

Great observing chair, lots of seat levels.  The strap stops the rear support from opening too far, but nothing stops it closing up when you move it.  Very annoying.

Solution - a piece of 7 x 1.8cm wood (planed to a curve at one end), two bits of hardboard, a couple of hinges, and four M4 machine screws (excess sawn off) and nuts.

(The length of the main member must suit your preferred angle for the support.  I went for 31cm.)

This is easily placed on the strap, the sides are dropped to keep it in place, then you can move the chair about as much as you want and the support stays in position and doesn't tend to close up.

All from bits out of the shed, cost £0.00.  

Doug.

P1100142.JPG

P1100143.JPG

• Like 4

Nice!

Its a great chair, but the 'belt' is ridiculously long, so long that in fact, I used it recently as an arm sling after I tore my bicep. Whilst that was repurposed, I used an old nylon belt on the chair that was smaller, the right size and less intrusive. I'd have kept it but I needed it for my outdoor trousers!

I've also been considering some sort of torsion spring arrangement to prevent the leg from flopping about. It wouldn't stop you falling backward off the thing if you shifted your weight back but would allow you to one hand move the chair to a new position.

Also in plan is a cover/pad of some sort on the seat to be more comfortable on those longer sessions.

That said, at less than £100, it's the cheapest bit of kit I've got and probably the most useful.

😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blahblahman said:

Nice!

Its a great chair, but the 'belt' is ridiculously long, so long that in fact, I used it recently as an arm sling after I tore my bicep. Whilst that was repurposed, I used an old nylon belt on the chair that was smaller, the right size and less intrusive. I'd have kept it but I needed it for my outdoor trousers!

I've also been considering some sort of torsion spring arrangement to prevent the leg from flopping about. It wouldn't stop you falling backward off the thing if you shifted your weight back but would allow you to one hand move the chair to a new position.

Also in plan is a cover/pad of some sort on the seat to be more comfortable on those longer sessions.

That said, at less than £100, it's the cheapest bit of kit I've got and probably the most useful.

😀

I knew I made the right decision to marry the wife when the mother in law made me a cushion for the geoptik

PXL_20230524_212233793.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice chair for the money, I use mine a lot. The strap is, as you all know, very long and the reason for this is so you can use the chair almost as a lounger, laying right back on it presumably whilst viewing with binoculars. Although this does work I can't help feeling a little unsure on this chair when in that position, maybe 6ft 2" and 95kg has something to do with that but I think I will just cut the strap down and use it in "standard chair mode" from now on. As noted above, when moving, the rear chair leg can close up and the idea of having it fixed seems like a good idea. I may get rid of the strap altogether and replace it with some kind of hinged wooden brace.

• Like 3