Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guide scope FOV smaller than imaging scope?!

Hi, I was just curious at the field of view of my guide scope and when putting the numbers in I realised the FOV is smaller than my imaging scope. Is this a problem? Should the FOV be the same or maybe bigger than the imaging scope

Screenshot_20230525-114250_Samsung Internet.jpg

That is quite normal since guide sensor is very small.

You won't have any problems because of that as sole purpose of guide system is to find and lock onto a star/stars (and there are plenty of stars out there - even on small FOVs).

People using OAG (off axis guiders) - always have smaller guide FOV then their imaging FOV as same focal length is used for both and guide sensors are smaller.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, labtech1122 said:

Ah ok, thank you very much :) I was just concerned because someone said you can use your guide scope as a finder because the FOV is wider than the imaging but that clearly isn't the case

Well, you can - but if you plate solve - you don't need to - computer will figure out where the scope is pointing and point it to the right place automatically.

Even if you don't plate solve - use main imaging system to figure out where the scope is aiming - take frame and focus exposure and check out star patterns to orient yourself. Guide scope can be be offset to the main scope - so they don't necessarily point to the same place in the sky (won't affect guiding) - so it is better to use main camera as it will do the imaging after all and where it's pointing is what counts in the end.

• Like 1