Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Joe's Luna scribbles

josefk

This is a ~25% illuminated 4.8 days old crescent moon sketched sitting in the lovely Burghley House deer park.

Sketched between 21:00 and 21:45 in a bit of a race as lovely soft twilight details hardened into high contrast black and white details as darkness came.

Fracastorius with Fracastorius D sitting on its nightside rim looked fantastic (if i've identified it properly).

IMG_3896.thumb.jpeg.c8353d2940061f7da7c7b41ad5299ff7.jpeg

A great pity it was a "school night" as it looked like seeing was going to be fantastic. Even bright Venus looked sharp and clear in my little bird spotting scope; ultra clear phase and only a little bit of glare and prismatic colour.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @maw lod qan. I would like to transition from impressionistic scribbling to somehow accurate recording but TBH it's not easy and probably not even possible for my skill level - the moonscape changes too fast when trying to capture all of it. I'm actually quite shocked at just how fast it changes - especially at this twilight transition.

I'm attempting to get into some detail here - the breakout detail is at x303 and about 5' wide. It's only my second Luna sketch at decent magnification and through a diagonal though and i found the diagonal quite disorientating. I also forgot to take an atlas out last night and this morning i can't for the life of me pin the breakout region down - i thought i knew roughly where this is but on flat light lunar pics i can't find anything likely. It was eye-catching at the scope - i must have a vivid imagination but this feature put me in mind of a deers head and the next feature to it's right put me in mind of a fox looking the other way. If anyone recognises it (hahaha) i would be very happy to be enlightened.

IMG_3917.thumb.jpeg.568fb923613d1fe3fb0d97c7914f549b.jpeg

• Like 4

On 25/05/2023 at 02:38, josefk said:

This is a ~25% illuminated 4.8 days old crescent moon sketched sitting in the lovely Burghley House deer park.

Sketched between 21:00 and 21:45 in a bit of a race as lovely soft twilight details hardened into high contrast black and white details as darkness came.

Fracastorius with Fracastorius D sitting on its nightside rim looked fantastic (if i've identified it properly).

IMG_3896.thumb.jpeg.c8353d2940061f7da7c7b41ad5299ff7.jpeg

A great pity it was a "school night" as it looked like seeing was going to be fantastic. Even bright Venus looked sharp and clear in my little bird spotting scope; ultra clear phase and only a little bit of glare and prismatic colour.

You did it in 45 mins, it's amazing if you can produce something very good looking like this in so little time 👍. It's often a "Work night" for me too when the seeing and transparency are premium :angry2:

I like this sketch with the lovely earth shine.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I found with my basic  Sun sketch yesterday, sketching any celestial body isn't easy .   Moving from viewing to sketching and then re focusing , one finds detail missed and then getting proportion correct not ver easy.

45mins I agree pretty amazing results.

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1